Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

Next version features.

Quote Reply
Next version features.
Hi all,

Today I started on the next version of Gossamer Mail.
The next version will be almost a complete rewrite.
Currently I have a list of features that we plan to add to the next version.
I am looking for some input on features you would like to
see in the next major release.
Here is the list of what I have to add currently:

1. Multiple Domain Support.

2. Users can set the reply-to address (admin can disable).

3. User can put a block on email addresses. Like filters but
the user just adds emails.

4. Admin can block certain names from being used e.g.
webmaster, admin ... These names will be skiped when parsing
email from the POP account and users will not be able to

5. Lost password Look up function for users.

6. Users can check remote POP accounts and have the emails
pulled into the Gossamer Mail system. The admin could limit
the number of POP accounts the user could add.

7. Statistical Information. A grid showing total users, new
users, users logged in, messages sent, messages received,
etc. with data provided for each item on a today, this week,
this month, this year format. There should be an
advanced reporting format that lets you select a specific
date range as well as extract aggregate demographical
information, etc.

8. Global Announcements. The admin can send a message to all
users or to just users that match a certain criteria like
number of messages, days sence last login, total used space,
etc..

9. Users being able to search there email.

This is what we have so far. Any suggestions are welcome.

Cheers,

Scott

Quote Reply
Re: Next version features. In reply to
Hi,
I donīt know if this is possible but it would be a nice feature if you could change your password and at the same time the password of the pop - account could be changed. Maybe this is a problem when you / your provider uses different programs. But then maybe it would be possible to inseret a basic posibillity which can be configured by the user for some standard mail programs like imail from ipswitch and so on.
I am very excited about the new version. Keep going.

Cheers
Niko

http://www.master-productions.com
Quote Reply
How about a signup settings section in the admin area where you have empty form fields, and if you fill one in with a particluar question you require...

eg. My Special Question

it will recognise the form field is filled in, and add it to the user signup form. Hope that makes sense. Perhaps this could be coupled with a selection of checkboxes for standard signup fields which you could select or deselect at will.

How long do you expect until the new release will be available (someone had to ask) - I've been asking about a password required mod for the current version but am not having much luck in getting a reply.

Quote Reply
Scott,

The big question is.... When are we going to see this new realease.? Is there a planned release date?

Dave

Quote Reply

In Reply To:
The big question is.... When are we going to see this new realease.? Is there a planned release date?
I have just started on the rewrite only a few days ago. There is no set date as of yet. My best guess is 5 to 6 weeks.

Cheers,
Scott

Quote Reply
Thanks Scott...

Best guess is good enuff for me...:)

Somelittle stuff I would like to see in the new write..

For Undeliverable Messages;
- a "delete all" option
- a "To" column

For List All users
- an Un-validated user tag/column

Dave

Quote Reply
I'm still really waiting for the WAP templates which is one of the dominant reasons I bought this product.

Ali

Quote Reply
Hi again,
I forgot to ask for one feature. You (the GT Team) already helped me to configure the gossamer-mail that it can login to a pop3 account if the required username is name@domain.com and not only name and password. It would be nice to have the option to chose which kind of login is required. I have the previous version installed and wanted to have a trial account for GT but I think I will wait to complete the translation if you say that itīs worth it.

Cheers

Niko

http://www.master-productions.com
Quote Reply
1 week down, 4-5 to go Looking forward to this... I've only found one other web based email program comparable and it's very expensive.

Quote Reply
Autoresponder (user can turn on/off and define text)

Quote Reply
A customizable calendar for each user...

and an internal messaging system (that would really rock)! That's a lot to ask but it just hit me... ;)

Quote Reply
Hi, the new version sounds great. Following are a few more ideas, in no particular order, you may want to consider if easy to implement.

1) Spellcheck, perhaps using www.spellcheck.net

2) Mail alert option to ICQ like services or another email address.

3) User option to display detailed message headers.

4) User selection of number of messages displayed per page.

5) User option to save unfinished emails as "Drafts".

6) Warning message in folders screen when max storage is near.

7) User selectable vacation message.

8) Bad word list to block creation of account names containing bad words as defined by admin. This would be different than the upcoming feature you mention of reserving certain account names as there could be 1000s of account name variations that could contain a "bad word" an admin may want to avoid people from using.

9) Add a X-Complaints-To: line to the headers of all users outgoing mails sent over the web. The value of which could be defined in the admin.

10) Change the --- in the folder drop down list to something a bit more intuative such as the term "Select One". ( line 325 of webmail.cgi & 1358 of Webmail.pm )

11) Change the text box in the admin filter after the word "If" to a drop down containing valid fields the filter can apply to.

12) User ability to sort by "status" column ( New, Replied, Read)

13) If a file attachment is a graphic ( GIF, JPG, ect.) have it automatically displayed in the body of a received message.

14) A single check box or link that when checked/clicked by a user it would automatically check or uncheck all the message check boxes on that page.

15) Admin ability to limit the number of recipients addresses a user can paste into the To, CC or BCC fields for any one email.

16) Admin ability to limit the total number of emails individual users can send over a 24 hour period.
Quote Reply
How about a "mail forward" feature. I don't run a freemail site(we are a University) and we need the ability for our students to set up a mail forward for their university email address. We would like for them to use the univeristy webmail system, but we don't want to force them. This feature(if added) should also have the ability for the admin to turn it on and off for sites that depend on advertising or simply don't want the feature.

I think this is a good feature(of course)for a university or any other business that doesn't really care where the email is being read, just so long that it IS being read. I hope you think its a good feature and consider it for addition to the next release.

Thanks for your time.

Neil Johnson
Sr. Communications Analyst
Jacksonville State University.

PS. I though I posted this the other day. I can't find it now...so if you find it twice I apologize!

Quote Reply
argh...i just bougth the scripts...it will be an upgrade for licended user ??? or i choose the wrong time to buy them ??? :|

Quote Reply
It is a free upgrade. =)

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Ability for individual pop users to select their own template, change of language etc.

Quote Reply
Next version features. In reply to
How about a feature that deletes accounts un-used for a specified time.

New Zealand Christian Internet Directory
Quote Reply
Hi,

There is a purge users option right now that will do this. =)

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
hello

Are ther any plans for:

A calender so a user could plan ahead and add information into a todo list and various reminders (able to be modifed at any point in time) which would be emailed to the users inbox (x) days before event (user defined) as a reminder of some thing.

optional block sender list via the use of tick box next to a message, hence the script would take a message find the sender and add that email address to a block sender list, which can be modified by the user at any time

optional security option, like normal singing in and closing browser window or logging out etc. or via option of radio button while logging have the ability to stay logged in until user actualy clicks logout, plus an option where it will remember user, meaning when a browser is closed with out logging out and they go off about there business on other sites when they return to the email site it will saythe users address and ask for the password with an option on the screen some where to change user to another which would take you back to the normal default page.

webmaster optional password requirements > where the webmaster can define via admin amount of minimum and maximum characters, and minimum letter and minimum numbers,

Some form of notepad folder which is searchable.

also optional internal subscriptions where they may add them selves to various mailing lists regulated by the webmasters,
an example of how this would work is, the company would send the email site a copy of the news letter, then the webmaster for the email site would send the newsletter to the various subscribers on the mailing list, hence the company would not have a list of subscribers only the email site would have the list.
this is just an idea i had of how it could work, obviously there must be other ways

Thanks bye

Quote Reply
Hi,

Calendar: No plans for the calendar in the next version.

Block senders: We plan to have some support for users to be able to easily add people to anti-spam filters.

Security: Yes, we plan to be able to set "Remember my password". Right now, cookies last for the length of the browser or n hours (duration can be set in the admin).

Passwords: No plans for this, but it could be something we add in.

Notepad: Can you describe this a bit more?

Internal lists: We will have the ability for admins to mail to everyone, so this shouldn't be too hard.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Hi

what I meant by notepad feature where a user may write a note while on the internet which may be viewed at a later point in time, the user maybe able to store various notes/comments in various folders. like notepad.yahoo.com,
Or maybe a better alternative would be a drafts folder where a user could start a message save it and finish it off later.

Also you said there are no plans for a calendar, does this also rule out a possible email reminder section as well ?? as this would be a good feature.

Are there any plans for a more advanced addressbook? with options like storing, name and address etc, and things like groups, so you could send an email to a group of emails. For example a user maybe a school child who wants to email all his friends in his English Language lesson some home work, hence is his email account he would already have a pre-defined group etc..

Thanks Bye

Quote Reply
Scott how are things going with this version. Can't wait to see it available.

Quote Reply
If the new version of GM is going to be structured anything like the new LinksSQL, this could probably be done very easily with a plugin.

A feature that allows you to redirect a user, or add further pages to the sign up process which allows them to subscribe to newsletters and mailing lists etc.

R.