Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

Gossamer Mail 2

(Page 2 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Re: Gossamer Mail 2 In reply to
Paul,

I agree 100%. I never actually even thought about that. But the POP server and 4 hours of mod perl are manual addons and so can be easily not added to that pool of people. However the software would probably need to be unlocked to function in an "unlimited manner" and an enterprise license is the only way to make that happen.

One should get what one has paid for. Nothing less. Nothing more.

Frank

Quote Reply
A related issue is the one years free updates. Many of us were persuaded to buy many, many months prior to this new release, on the promise that version 2 was "just a few weeks away". Granted, I'm fully aware of how long software development can take, I've worked in software before, but some people have been waiting since last year, so effectively they've only got a few months in "free updates" left, now that v2 has been finally released.

They bought v1 for the imminent v2 release, so could argue the year of free updates should begin now.

Regards

Jason

Quote Reply
Hi,

This is the email I just received from Alex and it states that registered users will receive the unlimited version this afternoon at no cost with no mod-perl or extra support.

I guess GT again proved itself to be the reputable company it has always been and I consider this issue solved to my satisfaction. Whatever was the reason behind what has happened is not important anymore as harm has been fixed. I thank Alex for bringing this issue to satisfactory resolution.

Frank

<<<<<

Hi,

First off, let me apologize for our total failure to communicate our new pricing effectively to you, our customers. I wasn't aware of some of the things that had been said and promised. We will take steps to make sure this doesn't happen again.

I've always said that Gossamer Mail 2 would be a free upgrade to all existing users, and it still will be. I also don't want people to think they now have to pay a lot of extra money after waiting all this time for version 2 just to get what they thought they were buying.

So our upgrade policy is now:

All Gossamer Mail 1 users, are entitled to the Gossamer Mail 2 Standard edition -- with the domain restriction removed -- at no extra cost.

What this means is that it is a standard version in all ways except for there is no limit on domains. The POP Server plugin is not included (this was always advertised as a paid plugin), and the consulting is not included. Also, you only get the 1 year of updates (as with version
1).

I will make this version available this afternoon and post a message on the forum when it is there.

If you have any questions about this, please don't hesitate to ask.

Again, please accept my apologies about this, not the best way to launch what I hope to be a first-class email system.

Cheers,

Alex

>>>>>>

Quote Reply
Hi,

every GMail user received the same email.

PS: I told you they wouldn't let you down....

Installations:http://www.wiredon.net/gt/
Favicon:http://www.wiredon.net/favicon/

Quote Reply
every GMail user received the same email.?????
Well I have V1 and I didn't get this email :(

Capt

Quote Reply
I need to state too, that just for the record, GT has always honored their promises, upgrades, and cherised their existing users -- often with a patience that goes above and beyond the call of humanity, much less duty.

If there is a problem, or something doesn't seem clear, it's always better to ask them directly, as nothing they do will intentionally (or adversely) affect existing user licenses (by past experience).

This can be seen in the message Alex sent out to clear things up for existing GM users. Also, if there is a "special" situation in your particular case, just drop Alex a letter. There are so many "special" cases with the installs of the early versions of the software, that this is the best way to find out the answers in your case.

With a company like GT, griping about things is the least productive -- and mostly pointless -- thing you can do. GT is one of the few companies where the gripers almost always look worse than anything they gripe about.

The past 12 months or so, have been tough for everyone. Alex/GT made some tough decisions to rewrite the core and base of all their programs, miss deadlines, but to develop what is quite possibly the best expanding suit of programs and utilities out there for site development.

There is no way they are going to hurt all those people who stuck with them, and all the people who did stick with them, will see the benefits from cleaner, faster code, easier modifications, easier upgrades (look at the cool install!) and plug-ins that improve the program without touching your code.

Additionally, there is a slow cross-product integration that will eventually allow all the programs to share a central code library, a central user registry, and to work with 3rd party programs like wwwthreads and others seamlessly.

All this is possible due to the front-end (time wise) back end (code wise) development that was done. All this is mostly invisible to the webmaster who just wants to use the programs, but as a programmer and developer, I can tell you these programs, these modules, and designs are really, really awesome.

Their costs and fees are well below what others are charging for inferior porducts with a much more limited lifespan, and I'm actually glad to see GT taking the stand that higher-end program versions will carry a higher end price. 1) because they need to present a "stable" and "business" image, and 2) because unless they can remain profitable (put food on their tables) they won't be able to keep coding the new revisions !! :)

And while I hope I good naturedly pick on Alex at times, about being too close to the programs, I'm absolutely awed and impressed at what he's been able to turn out.

So, to get back to the real point, please don't make a big issue over this (pricing and licensing). If you have a problem, contact Alex directly. I can't help but believe you will be taken care of properly. I know most people who took a moment to think about it, did just that, rather than post here.

That said... one group of people might be a bit left out (that's up to Alex, really) -- and it _WAS_ THEIR choice. Those people who hung around waiting for version 2.0, without buying version 1.x at the pre-release price for 2.0, with a wait-and-see attitude. That was a choice they made not to support GT early on, not to become a "customer", and not to share the benefits -- and potential risk. I know how I feel about it -- those people who've pre-registered the programs I'm developing, and showed their support, will be well taken care of :) Everyone else...?.... the program has a release price that is higher than my pre-release price. :)

Kudos for Alex and GT.

PUGDOGŪ Enterprises, Inc.
FAQ:http://LinkSQL.com/FAQ
Forum:http://LinkSQL.com/forum
Quote Reply
Hi,

If you didn't receive the email, please contact me with your order details as most likely it means one of our previous messages to you bounced and we disabled the download login. =)

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Pugdog,

Don't dismiss our concerns as "gripes". We were wholly justified in posting here. Some of us don't have your experience with GT, how are they supposed to know they weren't going to be screwed over? The issues over pricing WERE a big issue, but fortunately it's been resolved to everyones satisfaction and GT have proven themselves to be a reputable company.

I think this is the right place to share ideas, even if those ideas are complaints. I'd rather know what other people are thinking than direct all my comments to private email.

Regards

Jason

Quote Reply
I have to agree.

People who pay $600+ for a script have the right to express their concerns when something doesn't seem right. After all the purpose of this forum is to discuss problems (amongst other things) with fellow users. I also don't think Alex would appreciate 1000+ emails arriving in his inbox Smile

The word "gripes" is a little condescending....not meaning offence to Pugdog...

I also think this is a little unnecessary...

In Reply To:
GT is one of the few companies where the gripers almost always look worse than anything they gripe about.
Installations:http://www.wiredon.net/gt/
Favicon:http://www.wiredon.net/favicon/

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Don't dismiss our concerns as "gripes". We were wholly justified in posting here. Some of us don't have your experience with GT, how are they supposed to know they weren't going to be screwed over? The issues over pricing WERE a big issue, but fortunately it's been resolved to everyones satisfaction and GT have proven themselves to be a reputable company.
I think this made my point _exactly_.

It was taken care of, and the negative vibes and feelings were completely unnecessary. A simple ... "Alex, could you clarify" or a private email with your specific concerns would have been better.

In Reply To:
I think this is the right place to share ideas, even if those ideas are complaints. I'd rather know what other people are thinking than direct all my comments to private email
My point again. This idea of "what other people were thinking" is just what I was referring to. If there is no problem, why try to create one, by stirring up the pot, or throwing rocks at the hornet's nest?

If GT is a reputable company, and a simple look at their past track record visible here in the forums, with other customers and upgrades would have confirmed that, then a simple "please clarify" would have sufficed.

Before griping make sure there is something to gripe about. Lately it seems everyone always assumes the worst, and sometimes, that becomes a self fullfilling action. Negativity often generates and equal and opposite negative response.

This is why I applauded Alex's "above the call of humanity" patience with some people over the past 2+ years I've been hanging around here.

This should be over now.

You stated your opinions and views of the situtation, as did others, and I stated mine.

Mine just happen to assume GT would be the good guys they've always shown themselves to be, while many of the other posts seemed to assume something much less positive.

PUGDOGŪ Enterprises, Inc.
FAQ:http://LinkSQL.com/FAQ
Forum:http://LinkSQL.com/forum
Quote Reply
>I think this made my point _exactly_.
>My point again.

Interesting how everything I say actually supports what you say.

I can appreciate your convictions, but to me it is tantamount to blind faith in a company. You can't expect users to wade through months of old posts in the hope a picture will eventually emerge showing GT to be the company who can do no wrong.

It is not as if we were being unreasonable. People felt screwed over, justifiably. This fact seems to go completely over your head, such is your faith in the company. Stand back a minute and see it from our point of view. We were promised one thing, but given another. What makes you think a simple "please clarify" sent through private email would have resulted in unlimited domains for all?

GT hadn't even realised what they had done until we all raised the issue. Even if a company is good and reputable, as I believe GT to be, you can't expect everyone to always say "Great job, guys" without them also raising concerns from time to time. And before we go round in another circle, no, we're not always going to post our complaints by private email!

If anything, like has been said already, you have been condescending towards everyone who voiced an opinion on this.

Regards

Jason

> >