Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

Creating Pull Down Menu

Quote Reply
Creating Pull Down Menu
Hi,

I 1/2 got to this in another thread but didn't quite get the answer.

I'd like to create two pulldown menus - a list of cities and countries. I made ENUM select fields, and it's working fine in the admin area, where it's displaying a complete pull down menu.

What I want to do is have that "exact" menu available in the user pages - firstly on the signup form but more importantly on the user profile page. If the user selected their profile it would also return the menu with their entry selected.

Can anyone tell me how to get this to work?

Thanks
R.

Quote Reply
Re: Creating Pull Down Menu In reply to
I gave up editing countries and states directly into the database when I found a much easier method. It may not be what you're looking for, but I'm sure some users will appreciate it. You can just cut and paste the menus of countries and states from the page I've uploaded at http://www.example.com/join_all_include.htm

Put these into your signup and edit profile pages (something like this may be handy for GT to include in the next upgrade. Allowing users to enter their details by hand just leads to typos, when that information could be provided in a pull down). It's designed so a users existing data is retained, eg they return to their edit profile page and their country is preselected from the list - just what you ordered!

Regards

Jason

Quote Reply
Excellent! Thanks for that Jason!

Just a note - did you know you've got tags showing up all over the place on your signup page?? eg <%dgraph_zip%>?

Cheers,
R.

Quote Reply
That's the idea - how else could you cut and paste the tags! The actual sign up page is elsewhere.

Regards

Jason

Quote Reply
Yip, it's working great - I'm going menu mad! :)

I agree this would be a good idea to include in the standard install, unless they're working on making the menus available in the user area as well as the admin.

Cheers!

R.

Quote Reply
Of course, creating a global tag from a sub that queries a CITY and COUNTRY table would be the easiest to maintain and also you a lot easier to code as a tag in template files.

Regards,

Eliot Lee Wink
http://anthrotech.com/
Quote Reply

To wickedmoon,

Hi i also tried your link and its working fine :) but have you tried to incorporate the lost password answer and question?

mika

Quote Reply
I was just going to do a post about this myself! How's that for timing.

I think it would be good if users could also update their password questinon and answer reminders as part of their profile. It just means 1 less job for the admin in the long run, and I can't think of any negatives in allowing them to do it.

Unless anyone else can?

Cheers,
R.

Quote Reply
Hi,

We've added it to our todo list, however it may be a bit tricky. You can't change a password without entering in your original. This prevents people who left their browser open from having their password changed. However, if you could view and alter the lost password lookup, it makes it insecure again.

You might need to enter an existing password to be able to view/modify the question.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.