Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

Checking multiple POP accounts

Quote Reply
Checking multiple POP accounts
I have numerous POPs set up under incoming email options. If one happens to be down, incoming.pl stops and doesn't bother trying the next. Can this script be made more flexible, so if one POP is down it can try the next one? I'd also like to see more options in admin for editing POP accounts. At the moment I have to delete an account and readd it if I want to do something as simple as change the password.

Jason
Quote Reply
Re: [wickedmoon] Checking multiple POP accounts In reply to
Hello Jason,

I also have the same problem!, it would be great incoming.pl checked the next POP account.

Regards,

Narcís
Quote Reply
Hi,

If you edit incoming.pl around line 315 change:

my $count = $POP->connect or die GT::Mail::POP3::error;

to:

my $count = $POP->connect;
if ((!$count) {
GMail->debug ("Unable to connect to POP: $GT::Mail::POP3::error");
return;
}

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Checking multiple POP accounts In reply to
In Reply To:
Hi,

If you edit incoming.pl around line 315 change:

my $count = $POP->connect or die GT::Mail::POP3::error;

to:

my $count = $POP->connect;
if ((!$count) {
GMail->debug ("Unable to connect to POP: $GT::Mail::POP3::error");
return;
}

I finally install this (in somewhat of an emergency to get mail to import), but it doesn't work.....

It says:

syntax error at /home/../incoming.pl line 319, near "return"
Global symbol "$count" requires explicit package name at /home/../incoming.pl line 321.
Global symbol "$account" requires explicit package name at /home/../incoming.pl line 324.
syntax error at /home/../incoming.pl line 338, near "}"
Execution of /home/../incoming.pl aborted due to compilation errors.

Why when we get help like this it never seems to work? Don't you guys even check first, or do you just hammer out the code you think will work and leave the possibility open for fatal errors to occur?

I need to get this incoming.pl to skip a pop that's down, does anyone have the code for it that's been tried and checked???

Jason

Last edited by:

telemachus: Apr 29, 2002, 1:00 PM
Quote Reply
Quote:
Why when we get help like this it never seems to work? Don't you guys even check first, or do you just hammer out the code you think will work and leave the possibility open for fatal errors to occur?

Look at the code...its not that hard to fix....its a simple typo...no-one's perfect.

Change:

if ((!$count) {

to

if (!$count) {

Be thankful you got a solution in a reply and didn't have to wait for the next release.

Last edited by:

Paul: Apr 29, 2002, 1:05 PM
Quote Reply
Now when I try to change it back I get 'Bareword "GT::Mail::POP3::error" not allowed while "strict subs" in use at /home/../incoming.pl line 316. Execution aborted due to compilation errors.'

Jason
Quote Reply
What do you have around that code?....the code as Alex posted (without the extra bracket) wouldn't cause that error.

Last edited by:

Paul: Apr 29, 2002, 1:10 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Checking multiple POP accounts In reply to
In Reply To:
Look at the code...its not that hard to fix....its a simple typo...no-one's perfect.

Why do I get the feeling you see everything as a personal attack against GT? Maybe it's just me..

In Reply To:
Change:

if ((!$count) {

to

if (!$count)

Be thankful you got a solution in a reply and didn't have to wait for the next release.

Thanks, I'll try that. For the record, I'll save my thanks for when my installation isn't f****** up.

Jason
Quote Reply
>>
Why do I get the feeling you see everything as a personal attack against GT? Maybe it's just me..
<<

Or perhaps it was just the tone of your reply to Alex....specifically the bit I quoted.

>>
Thanks, I'll try that. For the record, I'll save my thanks for when my installation isn't f****** up.
<<

Great.

Last edited by:

Paul: Apr 29, 2002, 1:24 PM
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
>>
<<

Or perhaps it was just the tone of your reply to Alex.

>>
<<

Great.

Yes, I'm exasperated by the number of times fixes come out and then further fixes are required for those fixes, because it doesn't appear all the features were tested when the changes were first made. This is something you'll never understand, you take even constructive criticism and see it as a personal attack. Again, maybe it's just me.

Jason
Quote Reply
>>
This is something you'll never understand
>>

Au contraire....it is something I _do_ understand which is why I can see that your comment was not warranted. Alex didn't have to post a fix for you in his reply...he could have said "wait for the next release"....making a simple typo in a code sample is common and accidental.

>>
you take even constructive criticism and see it as a personal attack.
<<

Do I?...this situation isn't personal in any case, I just felt like defending Alex.

I don't want to get into an argument so feel free to let me know if that fix of the fix worked or not, or alternatively wait for Alex to reply.

Last edited by:

Paul: Apr 29, 2002, 1:37 PM
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
>>
>>

Au contraire....it is something I _do_ understand which is why I can see that your comment was not warranted. Alex didn't have to post a fix for you in his reply...he could have said "wait for the next release"....making a simple typo in a code sample is common and accidental.

>>
<<

Do I?...this situation isn't personal in any case, I just felt like defending Alex.

I don't want to get into an argument so feel free to let me know if that fix of the fix worked or not, or alternatively wait for Alex to reply.

I preferred your reply before you edited it:

In Reply To:
>>
>>

Au contraire....it is something I _do_ understand which is why I can see that your comment was not warranted. Alex didn't have to post a fix for you in his reply...he could have said "wait for the next release"....making a simple typo in a code sample is common and accidental and I personally don't see that as a good enough reason to criticize GT.

>>
<<

I don't want to get into an argument.

Let me know if that fix of the fix worked or not.

That bit at the end had a lot more punch to it.

Jason
Quote Reply
People always read too much into my edits....I only changed it because I knew you'd see it the wrong way (which you did)....and I didn't want to take the thread off the original topic by getting into an argument about the situation. Its not a question of editing it before anyone sees it...Im quite happy to make my thoughts known, if required.

I can see you are a little annoyed but the offer is still there if you need any assistance, otherwise I'll say good night.

Last edited by:

Paul: Apr 29, 2002, 1:51 PM
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
I can see you are a little annoyed but the offer is still there if you need any assistance, otherwise I'll say good night.

I'd just say good night. Shocked

Regan.
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
People always read too much into my edits....

I didn't know you made a habit of it?

In Reply To:

Of course, arguments aside, your help is appreciated, and yes, the modifications to the script you suggested seem to be working fine. Thanks for your input.

Jason
Quote Reply
In Reply To:

Its not just you. I had the same situation many times from some users (Plural) and it was hard to wish them Good Night as they could all not sleep.

Jason came out with an extra-ordinary argument that this behaviour of Paul is endorsed by Gossamer Threads. Here I see anathor classic situation!!!

It is not constructive part of the replies that bothers but that "something extra" that the poster gets by some users through the participation which is felt as unwanted. This is a bit annoying. Especially when the thread looses its main intention seeking for a specific help and changes into a long discussion or an argument focused by one particular view by one person. The main battle is protecting Alex. He never ever gave this honour to any person.
Quote Reply
Re: [rajani] Checking multiple POP accounts In reply to
ugh...

why don't you all come over to my place and work this out over a couple drinks?

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator
Quote Reply
Re: [rajani] Checking multiple POP accounts In reply to
Quote:
Jason came out with an extra-ordinary argument that this behaviour of Paul is endorsed by Gossamer Threads. Here I see anathor classic situation!!!

Leave me out of this Rajani, you are just fuelling the argument. Infact I don't think you needed to reply at all in this thread, we all know what your thoughts are. I thought you told me you were too mature for this kind of behaviour?

Quote:
Quote:
I am twice the age of yours.

No part of this thread was ever anything to do with anything I'd done....I just happened to defend Alex and provided the bug fix. Why you've suddenly decided to turn this in to a personal attack on Paul is beyond me....but I guess thats what you are best at ;)

http://gossamer-threads.com/...earch_string;#186961

Last edited by:

Paul: Apr 30, 2002, 4:10 AM
Quote Reply
I've got incoming.pl to skip pops now, but it takes *ages* if a pop is down to move on to the next one. I'm talking 15-30 minutes here. With a couple hundred domains and problems with most of them at the moment, I wondered if this process could be sped up? ie have a cut off point in minutes that incoming.pl will check a pop for. If no response it moves on. Is this possible?

Jason
Quote Reply
Unfortunately I don't have access to the Gossamer Mail software so I'm afraid can't help.
Quote Reply
It doesn't seem to happen here. What is the reason that the POP server is down? I tried running incoming.pl after I stopped pop3d, and it skipped the POP server immediately.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Checking multiple POP accounts In reply to
It says can't connect to host: connection timed out. The domains it's skipping (slowly) haven't been reentered into the dns yet so there's just nothing there. I left the computer on all day and overnight, but it's still going through the list. Is there any way to safely quit incoming.pl?

Running this modified version of the script that skips pops, is it possible to mistakenly run incoming.pl two or more times? Like it's checking a pop that's down, you start incoming.pl again and instead of saying it's already running, it starts it off again with the first one still running. I wondered if this could cause complications. I had around 1500 mails to import off one pop, but they all seem to have disappeared and none of those I expected to appear in the database have appeared :/

Jason