Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

Incoming.pl problems!

Quote Reply
Incoming.pl problems!
Hello Adrian!

Problem again.

I found out that incoming.pl inserts messages information in the mysql database like headers through queires of userID and email address, etc.

However, it does not delete the message in the inbox after the operation is complete. Hence what has happened in my case is that it has inserted 34 messages of the same email as it did run 34 times! However, it got killed in between 34 times and if it would be run again it would insert the same message in there. All the mail boxes are having multiple messages.

I found this out by two methods. One directly, by checking how many messages where in the incoming domain email box, lets say 3207 number of messages where in the main email box that needed to be sorted.

Running incoming.pl it would insert lets say 500 messages and it would have some connection problems and get killed. So the headers of 500 messages would be inserted and those messages would still be in there without getting deleted. However, the number of the total incoming statistics increases by 500!!!

The next time it would do the same. So it would get into loops without getting or deleting the inserted messages.

Any solution to this problem where it would delete the inserted messages.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: [rajani] Incoming.pl problems! In reply to
This shouldn't be happening with versions 2.0.6 or higher as we keep a message checksum which is a md5sum of most of the headers and the size of the message. However, if your mailserver does weird things (like put the time of the message retrieval in the header), then it could throw it off, and it would result in a different checksum each time it checked it.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Incoming.pl problems! In reply to
Hello Adrian!

May be it could be true what you said. But my problem is that there are 4700+ messages in the que that needs to be sorted out and the users are already writting anrgy emails of which I have nothing but to appologise.

Any solution?
Quote Reply
Hello Adrian!

The problem is that the mysql socket or the script is being killed due to its use of large amount of resources of the server. Imagine if there are 5000+ messages, how many minutes it needs to sort the messages. For any reason if it gets killed, due to resources or connection problems, then it inserts the message again and again. Thats the problem.

The problem is not in the script being killed and its investigation into the logs BUT in the multi-insertion of the same message again and again if the incoming.pl is not reaching to point of sorting the last message.

You said that there could be something in the checksum but never informed me if it could be a module version or anything else that needs to be checked or changed.

It does not delete the messages that it has inserted. So if it gets killed then it enters again and again and now it has inserted about 35 times in each respective mailbox!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The original is still there and it would insert once again.

This has nothing to do with the logs. Further, changing the name or the username in the logs does not change anything in the connection problem. I am quite experienced now, as you may well know and the logs that I have published speaks its near exact version other than the changes described, namely, in the username and password. There is nothing important at all, and NOT EVEN A SMALL CHANGE OR ADDITION has been done.

Here it is not even a problem in looking into the logs. It is the insertion sub_routine and its following deletion that needs to be paid attention. So if it is in the logs, let me know. I shall send it again.

Last edited by:

rajani: Jul 7, 2002, 3:47 AM
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
This shouldn't be happening with versions 2.0.6 or higher as we keep a message checksum which is a md5sum of most of the headers and the size of the message.

May be its a module as a part of the script that did not get updated. Which could be this module? I need to check.

If there was a list of all the actual version available somewhere, I could have had checked myself.

In Reply To:
However, if your mailserver does weird things (like put the time of the message retrieval in the header), then it could throw it off, and it would result in a different checksum each time it checked it.

How do I find this out? Is there any command that I need to use to check something? or any program version that needs to be checked?
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
The problem is that the mysql socket or the script is being killed due to its use of large amount of resources of the server.

Hi Rajani,

If this is the case, is there any way for you to find out what message was the last to be inserted then use pine to delete the messages prior to it till it gets down to a manageable number? It sounds like a lot of work but if something is timing out, that's not really a problem with GMail. Have you talked with your hosting provider about this yet? They might be able to help you out as well. Do you have your own dedicated server or is this on a shared hosting account?

Regards,
Charlie
Quote Reply
Re: [Piper] Incoming.pl problems! In reply to
Hello Charlie!

Thanks. But your suggestions does not work.

I know that it is possible to delete the emails with the help of various clients and infact I checked it by one of the email client on WIN GUI. However, its not possible to be sure the first message is exactly the message that GMail has inserted. Also it would be an extra-ordinary amount of work, lets say about 20 hours, to sort 5000+ messages, one perhaphs may need a week of office time and the charge of an IT Eng. per hour does not bring any return in comparision to the FREE Email services I offer.

Further, this would be a one time work. The problem remains.
Quote Reply
Hi Rajani,

I guess it would take quite a while to go though all those e-mails by hand :) Do you have GMail set up on your own private server or is it set up on a shared hosting plan? I guess the only other option would be to talk with your system admin (if your on a shared hosting plan) and see if they can increase the timeouts for you to give incoming.pl a chance to run then reset it back to normal. Good luck with this one.

Regards,
Charlie