Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

Gmail 2.1.0 dafault options - update all users

Quote Reply
Gmail 2.1.0 dafault options - update all users
Hello Adrian!

Is there a way to update default mailbox options for all existing users from the admin?

All new users has for e.g. Delete trash on logout turned on while existing ones has off.

Such defaults would be helpful in the admin as a general options.

But maybe I am making a mistake. I shall have a closer look in the admin menu, which needs to be further discovered, especially the menus which are burried and helpful.
Quote Reply
Re: [rajani] Gmail 2.1.0 dafault options - update all users In reply to
Unfortunately no, there currently isn't a way to modify the defaults for existing users. You should be able to write something to do this by going through the user directories and opening the .pref files, modifying the value, then writing it back to file. If I get some free time, I'll see if I can whip something up to do it.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Gmail 2.1.0 dafault options - update all users In reply to
Hello Adrian!

I found out AFTER posting here that the prefs are, for logical reasons, in ASCI and not Mysql. Well, I did not think any other answer there after.

But how to change the default entry for the new user getting registered? There has to be a pref default somewhere that is being copied. I want the delete trash after logout as set to yes.

But maybe I will have to look more in the directories.
Quote Reply
Re: [rajani] Gmail 2.1.0 dafault options - update all users In reply to
The default preferences for each user are read from the template directory they first login using. So if they first login using the 'brewt' template set, then it will copy the prefs.cfg from the 'brewt' template and use it for the default preferences. So if you want to change these defaults, modify the prefs.cfg in each of the templates (you'll probably only want to do it once and copy it to all the templates). I've added a few values in 2.1, so if you're using 2.0.6 templates, take a look at the brewt or nessa templates for its prefs.cfg (they're both the same).

Adrian
Quote Reply
Hello Adrian!

Thanks. You were faster before I could find it. Got it!

The scripts and so damn well designed. I am really impressed. My sincere appreciation.
Quote Reply
Hello!

I just updated the prefs file for the new users.

But about the existing users, what I think is -

What about giving a user option immediately after login as a default so that all users after login are offered a page to configure - the moment - a new feature is added, which could be in the future!

That means that a configure or options page is offered after login. This also could be helpful like if the admin wants to give a message to all users after login.

Maybe this can be done though a value in the input hidden tag which directs the users after login like home.htm anyway.

I will give a try to see if I can make a new page after login and direct the users logged in to a different page other than home and then bring them back! Lets see how it works.

Last edited by:

rajani: Aug 14, 2002, 2:38 AM