Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

Character Set

Quote Reply
Character Set
Hi,

I would like to set my Character Set Default (Under options - Compose options) to Windows-1256 instead of us-ascii , how am I suppose to do that?

Thanks in advance,

PCMANIA
Quote Reply
Re: [pcmania] Character Set In reply to
Go to Options->Compose Options
and choose windows-1256 from tha Character Set dropdown.

Wink

rgrdz,
.\\ike
Quote Reply
If you want to make it the default charset for all new users, you will need to edit the prefs.cfg files in all your template dirs. Look for something like this:
Code:
'compose' => {
'reply_subject' => 'Re: <%formatted_subject%>',
and add your charset in so it looks like this:
Code:
'compose' => {
'charset' => 'windows-1256',
'reply_subject' => 'Re: <%formatted_subject%>',

Regards,
Charlie

Last edited by:

CP: Oct 1, 2001, 8:24 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [CP] Character Set In reply to
Thanks a lot CP it works just great!

I have another question for you, how can I change the current users to Windows-1256 default?

Regards,
PCMANIA
Quote Reply
You would have to go through all of the user (e.g. /path/to/webmail/data/users/domain.com/p/piper) dirs and add the same thing to their individual .prefs file. It wont be too bad if you only have a few users. If you have several users you might want write something in perl to do it for you.

Regards,
Charlie
Quote Reply
Re: [CP] Character Set In reply to
Hi CP,

And thanks again, I have about 10,000 users so that is impossible and I have no experience with Perl! I checked the directory that you mentioned and there are no files in there, I went to my /data/users/domain.com/A/admin and some other user names an all I see is a directory called upload and inside of that directory there is another empty directory with a long name like this : 34lknasdf09uw3lkjasdg9asdfl

Thanks again for your help,

PCMANIA
Quote Reply
If you have SSH/telnet access try doing a ls -alF in one of the user dirs. Files beginning with a . won't show up by deafault in most shells or in FTP. 10,000 is going to take you a while to do my hand :) Maybe you can see if GT will sell you a script to do this? It shouldn't be too difficult to write. You can always leave it as is and let the existing users change it themselves if they want. This should really be something you can set in the admin as well. Maybe Alex can add this to the todo list?

Regards,
Charlie
Quote Reply
Hi,

We'll look at adding something to the tools directory that will do this.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.