Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

does the user have to provide his e-mail address

Quote Reply
does the user have to provide his e-mail address
i just installed Gmail and in order a person need to sign up he MUST provide his e-mail address.
personally i do not think it's necessary, is there away to make it optional

Quote Reply
Re: does the user have to provide his e-mail address In reply to
It IS necessary so the validation code can be sent to them!

However it poses the question about how they sign up if they don't have an existing email.

Paul Wilson.
http://www.wiredon.net/gt/
http://www.perlmad.com/
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
how they sign up if they don't have an existing email
that's why i think the validation is NOT necessary. it should be optional.
i do not know any free web based mail that ask for it.

alex: how about making it optional. it should not be hard but again i'm not a programmer

Quote Reply
Hi,

We designed it to be optional. The setup option isn't in place yet though. If an email address isn't required, then Lost Password lookup will use Question/Answer to validate the password.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply

I need to disable the compulsory to the field email in the Sing up. How can I doit?

Quote Reply
Re: [migues] does the user have to provide his e-mail address In reply to
Alex, I also want to know the answer to this question of this thread!!! Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: [migues] does the user have to provide his e-mail address In reply to
Hello,

I disabled it removing the text field and insterting a hidden one with the name of email's text field.

You will also have to insert an email adress in the hidden value, so it would be good you delete the field e-mail in the profile page :-)

Narcís,

PD: My first post to Gossamer Forum! :-)

Quote Reply
Re: [algorithms] does the user have to provide his e-mail address In reply to
Hi,

You need to:

1. Make email not required. This can be done in Database->Demographics. Make Not Null => No for the email column.

2. In Setup->User Options->User Signup, make sure 'Verify Email' is turned off.

3. In Setup->User Options->User Signup, make Lost Password Lookup = Display Password.

Gossamer Mail will now use a question/answer to handle lost passwords and emails won't be required.

Hope this helps,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [theguy] does the user have to provide his e-mail address In reply to
Hello!

Make sure that you do not change the password option after you have started your website. Both the options will work excellent only if they are selected immediately after the installation. Later on one does not have the other elements it needs, unfortunately.

Otherwise you may have problems like I do have even now.

There has been no change in this area of programming as a main change. You can read my thread if you want to know what I mean.

May not directly help you but just a hint of a potential problem.

Quote Reply
Re: [rajani] does the user have to provide his e-mail address In reply to
Ok ..

if i set user signup to not verify email and to show password . the question/answer of losting password will not be necessary , and some users may leav thim blank . so there are no question/answer for this user in database . whin this user try to validate his password he will recive this message :You are not authorized to use this function. So he will never can validate his password ! .

I think question/answer should be required fields * .

i have this problem now with some users that whithout question/answer entry and thay can't get them password .

What do you think ?

Thank you Smile

Quote Reply
Re: [Dellow] does the user have to provide his e-mail address In reply to
Hello!

I have the same problem exactly like what you described.

I would have prefered that the installation itself would give the first choice to choose what choice in principle the admin wants to choose.

I changed it at a later date without knowing the consequences. I had many users that did not have lost password Q/A during the validate option. This validate function was a complete flop on my website. Hence the field is empty! So if I change it now and make it as a required field, they will not have what the field requiires!!! Nor the proffessional email program allows to email the users to their real email address about the change in the lost password option to inform them. Hence cannot be invited to even fill out the fields and they will never know. So its like a stalemate. So the only option is to live with it.

So you are very very correct. It will happen what you said. And the solution is also what you said, provided you do this "ONLY FROM THE BEGINING!" and not after going live, otherwise you will have to live with those problems.
Quote Reply
Re: [rajani] does the user have to provide his e-mail address In reply to
I think the pest solution to make email field and Q/A field are required.

and thin whin the user want to requist his password he requist it in way that admin schoos at that time .

i think in this way admin can change the method of giving password at any time and both can work normaly . and i think it is very easy to any programmer to make Q/A fiels as required fields . but i am sure this programmer Not Dellow Pirate .

Who is this programmer ?
Quote Reply
Re: [Dellow] does the user have to provide his e-mail address In reply to
In Reply To:
I think the pest solution to make email field and Q/A field are required.

and thin whin the user want to requist his password he requist it in way that admin schoos at that time .

i think in this way admin can change the method of giving password at any time and both can work normaly . and i think it is very easy to any programmer to make Q/A fiels as required fields . but i am sure this programmer Not Dellow Pirate .

Oh! Thats very very easy. Just go to the edit tables of your database manager and change the property of those fields as "Not empty!". So if the form does not submit those required values than it will give the respective error.

You do not need any extra programming. So if you do not understand, ask me again and I can give you step by step instructions.

However, what I have described about my problem is that I am not even able to change it as most of the users did already have those fields empty and I just cannot create and write answers for them which they do not know about it. Hence the problem.

What I did was I made the email address + user name as "UNIQUE" in the property field. Do this. This is helpful if you plan to have only one email address per user. And also set the other field for pass Q/A also as not empty field. (NULL/ NOT NULL). Do not set any defaults for that field. Otherwise it does not work.

However, incase if you are planning to go live than DO THIS BEFORE the terror.

Last edited by:

rajani: Feb 12, 2002, 8:36 AM