Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

Move webmail to new server

Quote Reply
Move webmail to new server
Hi

I am about to move my website and webmail to another, better server.

How may I best move this ? Just shut down the existing website, make a mysql dump of the database, copy /data directories, and then unpack on the new server? (I think I would prefer this)

Or is there smarter do to a install on the new server before moving users, mysql import etc ?

Any tip ?

Regards,
Are
Quote Reply
Re: [areh] Move webmail to new server In reply to
Hi,

I would recommend installing the program on the new server and testing it out first. Once you are happy then:

1. Shut down site on old server.
2. Copy database from old server to new server (which if they are same platform, you can just copy the database directory)
3. Copy gmail/data directory from old server to new server.
4. Start up new server

And that's it!

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Move webmail to new server In reply to
Is there any way to just copy everything without doing a completel reinstall. I am saying this because my current gossamer-mail is setup all funky ways and doing a reinstall would take a while. Plus, I would need to change the drive letters in the config files. Is there a way to just copy the entire program to a new server and modify some config files to point to the new location?

Joe
Quote Reply
Re: [jmurray] Move webmail to new server In reply to
Also heres one. When I try to do what you say to do, I still cant see any of my current users. What am I doing wrong.

Joe
Quote Reply
Hi,

Yes, if you copy the entire directory, and then do a global search and replace to update your paths to the new paths (need to edit the .cgi's, the batch and tool files, and your ConfigData file).

Quote:
Also heres one. When I try to do what you say to do, I still cant see any of my current users. What am I doing wrong.

Make sure you copied your SQL database over, and are using the same table prefix.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.

Last edited by:

Alex: Apr 3, 2002, 12:36 PM
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Is there any way to just copy everything without doing a completel reinstall. I am saying this because my current gossamer-mail is setup all funky ways and doing a reinstall would take a while. Plus, I would need to change the drive letters in the config files. Is there a way to just copy the entire program to a new server and modify some config files to point to the new location?

Joe

Hello!

There is a way to do it.

http://dar.linux.free.fr/

Or there are also many utilities that you can use to do the Archive / Backup. It will copy all the necessary directories and make an archive!!!

And it is also not difficult to transfer from one to anathor remote server. I use an excellent tool or rather program called windows commander. Get it from Christians website at:

http://www.Ghisler.com! Get the new version 5.0! Its damn good.

It also has a multiple search and replace if you wanted to do it locally. Ofcource it is possible to do it directly on the new remote server on linux / Unix. I use this program so often as it is one of the really good ones on windows platform. It can also compare files in an intelligent manner! :)

May be you already done it.