Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

Block Mail

Quote Reply
Block Mail
Is there to block mail by domain/subdomain or ip address?

Say that mailtime.spamhost.com and i want to block mail coming from that server, either by the subdomain or the ip it resides.
Quote Reply
Re: [goonz] Block Mail In reply to

try looking at...

Admin > Setup > Spam Filters
Quote Reply
Re: [ryel01] Block Mail In reply to
I dont want to block email addresses. Say that i want to block yahoo group mail servers from sending mail to users. The reason i want to block the servers is because the email address that is the from could be jojo@indiancircusboy.com, and i dont want to block mail that he sends to all my users, I want to block the messages that sent out throught the yahoo group mail servers.

using *@*.yahoogroups.com will not block the mail.

Abuse to free email services in clude people who want a place to dump messages with attachments through yahoo groups.

simply put to block mail servers you cant specify that by using email addresss.

To stop all mail from the yahoo group service the domain *.yahoogroups.com , *.groups.yahoo.com.
Quote Reply
I think something like this would be best done at the smtp server level. When the mail gets to Gossamer Mail, the only information it has to check for this is the headers and this isn't too accurate as this information can be forged.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Block Mail In reply to
I dont think I have access to making changes to the smpt nor do a lot of virtual users.

If gossamer mail can get the headers with the servers like:

Received: from [66.218.66.68] (helo=n13.grp.scd.yahoo.com)
Quote Reply
You'll have to make a custom change to incoming.pl to check it. Just remember that those headers can be forged.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Are these not the same headers use to route the mail in Gossamer Mail? And send the mail to the specific user?
Quote Reply
Yes they are, but nothing stops the information that's added from being forged. That's just my point - you can use those headers but they aren't 100% reliable.

Adrian
Quote Reply
If I can trust them to deliver mail, I would trust them to block incoming mail. Yahoo group users take up a lot of resources and by blocking mail servers by the mail domain or ip, would drastically prevent large numbers of emails with attachments being delivered.

thanks for your time.