Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

e-mail setup help!

Quote Reply
e-mail setup help!
Hi,

I want to know how I can change a shared POP3 box's login information, looks like I can only delete an account!!!! What happens if I do that? Will all my users for that domain get deleted? I also want to change the domain on one of the POP3 boxes, how will this affect my users?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: [Surfer2] e-mail setup help! In reply to
I need an answer on this one as I want to change a domain asap...

thanks

:D
Quote Reply
Also, is it possible for a user to recieve mail from two domains?
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
What happens if I do that?
It will remove the entry from ConfigData.pm, which also means the domain will be removed. Your

In Reply To:
Will all my users for that domain get deleted?
They won't get deleted, but they won't be able to login as the domain won't be in ConfigData.pm.

In Reply To:
I also want to change the domain on one of the POP3 boxes, how will this affect my users?
What do you mean change it?

Adrian
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Also, is it possible for a user to recieve mail from two domains?
You mean two domains (eg. example1.com and example2.com), with a catchall on both accounts, and then a user who has user@example1.com and user@example2.com? They would have to have two accounts for that to work. So the answer to your question is no.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] e-mail setup help! In reply to
Thanks for your reply!

So what you are saying is that I will need to create a new shared POP3 box for my newdomain.com, then delete the old shared POP3 box and then manually set all the users that had the old domain to the newdomain.com??

Is that how it works??

thanks
Quote Reply
Yes, that would be how you would do it, but I don't know if that's what you really want. If you did that, all the mail sent to user@olddomain.com would bounce, and the user wouldn't get any mail unless it was sent to user@newdomain.com.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Well, I basically want to change all users domain to newdomain so I guess that is how I would do it, unless you have another idea? Is there any way for users to still recieve mail from the old domain?

One question, when setting up a shared POP3 box I can enter multiple domains, is this for so that I can forward e-mails from multiple domains to one POP3 box and then the incoming.pl will place respective mail into each users mailbox??

BTW, if I want to change the password of the POP3 mailbox, will I need to do this directly in the database or can I do it in the admin.

Thanks

Last edited by:

Surfer2: May 31, 2002, 6:31 AM
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Is there any way for users to still recieve mail from the old domain?
Without adding some custom code, no. If you're just moving domains from the old to the new (and so you can't signup for new accounts on the old domain), then you could add in some code in incoming.pl, to replace the any occurances of the old domain in the To field with the new domain.

In Reply To:
One question, when setting up a shared POP3 box I can enter multiple domains, is this for so that I can forward e-mails from multiple domains to one POP3 box and then the incoming.pl will place respective mail into each users mailbox??
Yes, but you have to make sure the mail is delivered properly. If it's a simple forward where the To field gets replaced with the catchall account, then it won't work properly.

In Reply To:
BTW, if I want to change the password of the POP3 mailbox, will I need to do this directly in the database or can I do it in the admin.
You can change it in your ConfigData.pm manually, or you can delete the entry, and readd it with the new password. I should probably change it to make it so you can edit the entry, but then again, this information shouldn't change very often.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Thanks for your help!

I have now changed the domain successfully!

A few questions...
My admin e-mail address still says the old address, is the only way to alter this via ConfigData.pm?

Also, I want to do a backup of GM, is it enough to do a mysql dump? Will I be able to successfully recreate all my settings and user info/messages by using data from a mysqldump if my server crashed? What is the best way to do a backup?

thanks
Quote Reply
You'll need a database backup, but you'll also need to backup your "data" directory as this contains the user's settings as well as their email.

Adrian
Quote Reply
I was told that the messages where stored in the MYSQL database!!! Why are they stored in a folder? It would make backup easier if everything was in the database!!

Regarding the admin e-mail, is the ConfigData.pm file the way to go??

One thing that is strange, after changing domain my bounced messages are using the standard template!! Instead of my custom template, all other templates are fine... whats wrong?

thanks
Quote Reply
I still can't figure out what's wrong with the bounced template??? It's still sending the default GM template even though the admin shows my modified template! the other templates are working fine...
This happened after I switched domains...

there is also another bug I can't figure out! I don't seem to be recieving any bounced messages for my two new domain I added! My other three are giving me bounced messages. The strange part is that I can recieve mail fine on the two new domains!

thanks for your help

Last edited by:

Surfer2: Jun 1, 2002, 1:55 AM
Quote Reply
It's a bug in 2.0.6's outgoing.pl. If you search outgoing.pl for "template_set" (I think there's only one occurance), you'll see a line similar to:
Code:
$something = GMail->template_set || 'default';
Change that to just:
Code:
$something = $CFG->{tpl_default};
The problem is that in the admin, the bounce template you're using is the bounce.eml from default template set, but on the GMail->template_set call, it's returning another template set.

Adrian
Quote Reply
That's strange, because it worked before!

I just added another question to my reply above, you probably didn't have time to read it... about me not recieving bounced messages on my two new domains
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
My other three are giving me bounced messages.
What's bouncing the messages, Gossamer Mail, or your mail server? Have you tried running incoming.pl manually with the -v option (./incoming.pl -v)? That should give you some useful debug information to work with.

Adrian
Quote Reply
What I am doing is that I am sending messages to each domain with a user that doesn't exist. In three out of five cases I get a bounced GM message that says that the user doesn't exist, which is correct! But I should also recieve message from the other two.

Another problem that I am having right now is that I tried replacing the default bounce.eml template with my new one and now I am getting this cron error:

A fatal error has occured:
GT::Template::Parser (23479): Unable to open template file ''. Reason: File does not exist. at /home/sites/site11/web/mailadmin/GT/Template.pm line 388.

Please enable debugging to find more information about this error

I tried putting the original default back, but I am still getting this error.

Looks like something is out to get me today...

Thanks for your help Adrian!

Cool
Quote Reply
Something seems to be very wrong!!! I am getting the cron error every 15min and the parser number changes every time???

-> GT::Template::Parser (411)
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
It's a bug in 2.0.6's outgoing.pl. If you search outgoing.pl for "template_set" (I think there's only one occurance), you'll see a line similar to:
Code:
$something = GMail->template_set || 'default';
Change that to just:
Code:
$something = $CFG->{tpl_default};
The problem is that in the admin, the bounce template you're using is the bounce.eml from default template set, but on the GMail->template_set call, it's returning another template set.

I bought my Gossamer mail about two weeks ago.

Has this bug been fixed by then, or do I need to fix it too?

You say in your message above that "template_set" occur once in the "outgoing.pl" file. But I see it occuring three times in the following lines.

- Line 80/81

# Load all template specific files.
my $t = GMail->template_set || 'default';
$CFG->load_template_set($t);

- line 146

my $t = GMail->template_set || 'default';

What do I need to do to resolve this bug, and if I follow your instructions, what is the instance that I need to change?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: [Mama] e-mail setup help! In reply to
My problem is that this happened before I started to change outgoing.pl!!! I need this fixed asap!!!
Quote Reply
I changed all places in outgoing.pl and now it looks like its working fine!

jippiii
Quote Reply
Re: [Mama] e-mail setup help! In reply to
In Reply To:
Has this bug been fixed by then, or do I need to fix it too?
No it hasn't, but it's fixed in 2.1, which will be released very very soon Smile

You only really need to change the one in sub send_bounces.

Adrian

Last edited by:

brewt: Jun 1, 2002, 3:36 PM