Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

Version 3.X Feature Suggestion

Quote Reply
Version 3.X Feature Suggestion
Hi.

Just a suggestion for the upcoming 2k5 Version (V3.x) of Gossamer Mail:

Adding a Preview Mail Stuff which basically is a combination of:

(1). Spell Check With ability to correct at click of mouse
(2). SA Check for really seeing how the mail would score on a SA enabled server ... with a possibility to edit with suggested phrases, corrections etc so as to lower the score ...

Option 2 ideally having an Admin Control whether such mails which score above a given threshold should be allowed to be sent without correction or not. Say a composed mail scores 7 on a Preview Test and Admin would not want a mail beyond 5 to be sent out, then the account owner cannot send the mail without really correcting it to come below the threshold. This could perhaps reduce the chances of getting listed on RBL's.... possibly. This could go a long way in avoiding situations where Gossamer Mail headers get into some SA rules somewhere with passage of time as it has been observed with X-Gmail header due to some Nigerian Mail as per Adrian as posted in other thread.

Thanks
HyTC

Thanks
HyTC
==================================
Mail Me If Contacting Privately Is That Necessary.

Last edited by:

HyperTherm: Nov 20, 2004, 3:56 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [HyperTherm] Version 3.X Feature Suggestion In reply to
1) will be available in gmail 3.0
2) we're thinking of something similar, except it won't be implemented as a preview. It'd be just a SpamAssassin check on outgoing mail, and as the admin you'd have the option to:
a) silently drop the email
b) silently drop the email and forward the message to the admin
c) drop the email and warn the user
d) drop the email and warn the user and forward the message to the admin
and there'll be other options like selecting the threshold, a different ruleset, etc.

The problem I see with warning the user is that it actually helps spammers send out SpamAssassin proof emails - this especially if you tell them what rules are being hit.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Version 3.X Feature Suggestion In reply to
Looks like a case of telepathy specially on (2) Wink
It would be a good feature addition when compared to other webmail stuff. True warning a Spammer would help him send out SA Proof mails but something could be thought of to make it more Can Spam Act Compliant by mandatorily adding relevant dgraph data to footer of outoing mail (possible even now). If still at drawing board stage perhaps following Admin definable option could also be considered for addition:

Disallow Sending The Mail With An Error Messge Displayed That The Mail Hits A Score of XX (admin definable again) and cannot be sent ... error message picked from language file. Actually silent dropping of mails could lead to more of a "High Level Customer Dissatisfaction" though i am not too sure about this.

As an addition to Feature Request ...

Is Multi Level Admin And Per Domain Admin With Per Domain Configs Also on the cards?

Thanks
HyTC

Thanks
HyTC
Quote Reply
Quote:
Is Multi Level Admin And Per Domain Admin With Per Domain Configs Also on the cards?
Not for 3.x series. That would require a more advanced user/permission system that won't be available in 3.x. What exactly are you looking for with a 'multi level admin'?

Adrian
Quote Reply
Multi Level Admin:

Admin Levels : 2 : License Owner (Level0) and Domain Level (Level1).
Purpose : Subleasing Of Domains Under gossamer mail.

Level 0: License Owner
  • Usual Admin Functions Present As Of Now.
  • Ability To Add Domain Level Admin Accounts (ie specify user/pass for a given domain under gossamer mail).
  • Ability To Allocate/Update Space Block to each domain (say 10GB block for domain1, 20GB for domain2 etc etc with possibility of specifying no limit wheich would mean no Space Restriction). This exludes any DB space. No restriction on DB Space.
  • Ability To Define The Default Account Size Per Domain Basis.
  • Abilty To Define The "Default" Template Set To Be Associated With A Domain -- Can be different for each domain. If nothing defined then the "Default" for the install is picked up automatically.
  • Block Suspension Of Access Of A Given Domain for gossamer mail. (implying global expiry sort of for the said domain).
  • Number Of Accounts That can be signed up under a given domain

The Admin Section Of Level1 should not have "Gossamer Threads" or "Gossamer Mail" or any hint of it displayed anywhere in their Admin interface. So perhaps "Gossamer Threads" And "Gossamer Mail" be replaceable with some tag defined in Globals or elsewhere.

Level 1: Domain Level Admin:
  • Domain level user management.

Open For Debate (I vote against all of it and would prefer Level 1 requesting Support to Level 0 for all of them):
  • Template Editing By Level1 Admin
  • Purging Messages
  • Purging Users

Just the points which come to mind at first thought. Maybe others would be able to add to this.

Thanks
HyTC

[EDIT]

Also, The Level1 Admin should have a display where he is aware of the balance SPACE that can be allocated, so that there is no overselling.

Say 1000 MB Space Block with 10MB each mail account is allocated by Level 0.
Level 1 updates 1 Mail Account with Mailbox size of 100MB

So Theoretically, he should not be able to sell more than 90 account of 10 MB each + 1 acount of 100 MB (sold).

Account Mailbox Upgrade should be interlinked with the Balance Space Available.
New Account Signup should also take into account Balance Space Available and if < the default space size, then signup should FAIL.

[/EDIT]

Thanks
HyTC

Last edited by:

HyperTherm: Nov 25, 2004, 1:57 PM
Quote Reply
While googling on point (2), i found the following URL which is what the SPAM Check before sending looks like:

http:// e-filtrate . com

Thought of posting it, just in case it would be helpful in any manner.

Thanks
HyTC

Thanks
HyTC

Last edited by:

brewt: Nov 27, 2004, 2:15 PM
Quote Reply
hah, that software has MADE FOR SPAMMERS written all over it! I still don't like the posting of SpamAssassin scores when their email fails. It's too technical for most users and is too useful for spammers as it provides instant notification that their email would probably be marked as spam and shows exactly what they would need to change to make it non-spam. We need to think of a system where it will benefit normal users but won't benefit spammers. Perhaps a queue system if the mail fails the SpamAssassin test - it gets added to this validation queue and the admin would have to validate it before the email would be sent. However, this still means their email would receive a high SpamAssassin score when it reaches the destination.

PS: I hope you don't mind that I've modified the link to that spammer's site

Adrian

Last edited by:

brewt: Nov 27, 2004, 2:15 PM
Quote Reply
No probs on url edit...
I should have posted it that way lest it goes to boost their PR ;)

While on the issue, let me cite an example:

You have users (not spammers) who have this bad habbit of All CAPS in email, All CAPS in Subject more as a matter of habbit. Add to this certain "Unintentional Phrases And Words" ... This causes the SA Score to increase. For example if i compose a mail with "Be Our Marketing Partner" and then have it spiced up with All CAPS stuff and few other "Unintentional Phrases" my mail would go down the Junk Folder, though it was not supposed to. I remeber how LSQL Mailing scored Too High Just because of One Phrase (in Language templates) which was taken care of just on seeing the SA score and modifying the phrase.

It's with the above scenario in mind that this Feature Request got it's shape.

Thanks
HyTC

Thanks
HyTC
Quote Reply
Users should be able to update Password Q & A, a thing necessary from account security point of view. This has been missing in all update cycles.

HyTC

Thanks
HyTC