Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

New Template Sets..

Quote Reply
New Template Sets..
Hi,

We're updating the template sets and making them easier to edit and a little cleaner looking. We've got a replacement for the simple one on the demo now. Have a look at:

http://freemail.gossamer-threads.com/?t=new

and let me know what you think. This one will use style sheets to make changes to fonts, colors, etc very easy. We will have an update for the default one in a few weeks.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] New Template Sets.. In reply to
Unsure I've just finished translating the old ones Wink

It is great that it will use style sheets, but I am against using graphics in the simple templates.

rgrdz,
.\\ike

Last edited by:

TukBa: Oct 13, 2001, 12:56 PM
Quote Reply
Cool After all, they are awesome! Good job guys!

rgrdz,
.\\ike
Quote Reply
Re: [TukBa] New Template Sets.. In reply to
What's wrong with having graphics in the simple templates? They can be easily removed Smile
I designed them so that it would be easy to create new templates off of this template, as well as easy to do basic customizations to it.

To get rid of all the graphics, takes editing 4 files... Removing the content of 3 of the files (for the box graphics), and removing the img src for the header in 1 file. Pretty simple if you ask me Wink

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] New Template Sets.. In reply to
Yup,

good job Adrian! Cool

rgrdz,
.\\ike
Quote Reply
After seeing the slick layout of Gossamer Forum I wondered if you'd be doing anything similar for G Mail. I always cringed to hear users bad taste when they complimented the templates up to now, but this latest set isn't half bad! It's what we need, sets that look professional by themselves, so you can make tweaks, or not as the case may be. Up until now I've always felt a complete overhaul is necessary before I put them online, which is hell every time a new update comes out.

Graphics in the simple templates? GT would do well to ignore anyone who says they shouldn't be in there. For the sake of a few k they dramatically lift the page and offer that instant, visual clue that helps users navigate. Bandwidth just isn't a concern here.

One of the things remaining now is a good help page for users. The one that's in there at present just looks like it was knocked up at the last minute.

Jason
Quote Reply
Re: [wickedmoon] New Template Sets.. In reply to
Quote:
For the sake of a few k they dramatically lift the page and offer that instant, visual clue that helps users navigate.
Yeah, the size of all the graphics is only ~40KB (about a 10 second download for dialup) isn't very much since not all of them are downloaded at once.

Quote:
One of the things remaining now is a good help page for users. The one that's in there at present just looks like it was knocked up at the last minute.
We actually have that already redone, but Bruce (our technical writer) did it in frontpage, which produces html which I can't stand. Still have to figure out what to do with that.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Ugh tell me about it - I saw a template created with frontpage and there were about 50 &nbsp's in it.ewww
Quote Reply
Silly me just upgraded thinking the new template would be in there. Can this new template be downloaded and installed before it's released in a future update?

Jason
Quote Reply
Re: [wickedmoon] New Template Sets.. In reply to
Hi,

It's not been fully tested yet, but if you'd like to try it, send me an email and I can send it to you.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.