Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

Macintosh problems with GMail

(Page 1 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Macintosh problems with GMail
Alex,

We are having problems with Gossamer Mail 2.0.6. We have installed the scripts on our linux server and everything is setup ok with regards to the database pop3 email box etc.
However, when using gossamer mail via web browser on our iMac's in the office we cannot send or receive email. The scripts allow us to compose a message but, on clicking on "send" the program simply returns us to the inbox page with no status message or message added to the sent items folder. Furthermore, no message is delivered to the intended recipient.
What's totally mind boggling is that if we log in to the same account via the sole PC in the office and perform the same task the email is sent (a status message appears) and the sent message is put into the "sent items" folder. Also, the message finds it's way to the correct recipient.
Any ideas?

Cheers

Hannah

Quote Reply
Re: [hannahmackenzie] Macintosh problems with GMail In reply to
Hi,

Does this happen on the demo at:

http://freemail.gossamer-threads.com

If not, can you send an email to support-gmail@gossamer-threads.com with access to the admin area so we can take a look?

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Macintosh problems with GMail In reply to
Alex,

I'm afraid to say that it happens on the demo site as well.

Best wishes

Hannah
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Does this happen on the demo at

200,000+ people using your software... time to buy a mac and start testing. :)

R.
Quote Reply
Hi,

Does it happen on the other template sets (New or Simple)?

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [ryel01] Macintosh problems with GMail In reply to
Quote:
200,000+ people using your software... time to buy a mac and start testing. :)

But the templates were designed on a mac and implemented by someone using a mac! =)

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
What?!? a MAC in our office? Never! Tongue

Adrian
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Quote:
But the templates were designed on a mac and implemented by someone using a mac! =)

hehehe... two replies to that one!

You guys are tough nuts to crack! :)

hehehe...

R
Quote Reply
It doesn't happen on the "new" or the "simple" template sets on the demo site, just the "default one".
Wierd huh?

Best wishes

Hannah

PS give me a PC any day!!

Quote Reply
lol, both new and simple were developed on PC's, and the default template was created on a Mac...

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Macintosh problems with GMail In reply to
In Reply To:
lol, both new and simple were developed on PC's, and the default template was created on a Mac...

hehehe...

Out of interest, were they developed and tested only with IE on the mac?

R.
Quote Reply
What are you guys doing up so early? isn't it ridculously early o'clock over there in Canada?

Any chance I could have a copy of the "new" template set?

Cheers

Hannah
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Out of interest, were they developed and tested only with IE on the mac?
I wasn't really involved in the creation of the default template, so I'm not too sure. She was a mac person, but I remember that she used a PC a lot during that time as well.

Adrian
Quote Reply
It's only 2am Wink I'm a night owl. Just about to hit the sack, since I have to get up at 9am tomorrow.

In Reply To:
Any chance I could have a copy of the "new" template set?
Fire off an email to Alex, he'll send you a copy. I've done a fair bit of testing on it, but there's a few bugs I still need to fix that I haven't got around to fixing (been busy with other projects).

Adrian
Quote Reply
Thanks Adrian.

I'll send off an email right now. What bugs are there in the templates? Javascript related or just HTML?

Hannah
Quote Reply
There's a few things which make it look weird in netscape 4.x which I need to fix (mainly text boxes), and there's one small bug in the msg_body page where when you move an email, the page it returns you to, is a blank email instead of the next message. Nothing too big. Oh, and also I need to add in the new help pages that we wrote.

Adrian
Quote Reply
But what's the fix? Our templates at http://www.femail.sissify.com are doing the same issues to our Mac users...

Thanks!

Diversity by Design
Post deleted by brewt In reply to
Quote Reply
Re: [diversity] Macintosh problems with GMail In reply to
Looking at the default template set, I can't seem to see any differences except that the default template set uses:
Code:
<input type="image" ...rest of send button...>
instead of:
Code:
<input type="submit" ...rest of send button...>
Try changing that code to be of type submit instead and see if it fixes it.

Adrian
Quote Reply
But that removes the "Image" tag which is part of the template? That's not acceptable unless something is written especially for this condition.

I don't use macintosh, so I can't test it once I change it. It's always poor webmastering to ask your customers to debug your systems.

I would appreciate a fix that is tested and still uses the images...from your office.

Thanks!

Diversity by Design
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
But that removes the "Image" tag which is part of the template? That's not acceptable unless something is written especially for this condition.

I don't use macintosh, so I can't test it once I change it. It's always poor webmastering to ask your customers to debug your systems.

I would appreciate a fix that is tested and still uses the images...from your office.

Thanks!

Hi Diversity,

I know you'd rather an answer from GT, but...

If you open any of the templates up in DreamWeaver on the Mac you'll see any problems instantly. I went through every template with it before I used it - some had <form> tags in the wrong place for netscape to work, some had other problems, but none were major. One bonus was is everything should work ok in Internet Explorer.

I also use a mac with Netscape. But I then also test on a PC second. Doing it that way round you can never go wrong.

R.
Quote Reply
I've made some changes to the template, and have gotten a coworker who has a Mac at home to check it. We'll know tomorrow if the change works or not.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Thanks for the reply!

I would really like to have a Mac here... or switch to system 10 with a new box, but it's so hard to justify it in our small home office. I use to have 4 machines here, and when we would fire them all up, the house would hum! ha ha These days, I don't care for that too much... and use one desktop running VMWare to switch between Linux and Win, and a laptop for the road.

I'm afraid a Mac here (unless I totally switched over to it from Win2000) would end up being used as much as a rowing machine. (And you know how much they get used!)

That's a strange part about being a webmaster... I change out machines every 2 years, but I swear I could have used the same one I had 5 years ago with Linux on it and it would have been fine!

What other suggestions does one have for designing that Mac understands short of consumerism? Short of whining delicately to the original programmers of opensource systems we run? (Not many are as sweet to work with as the Gossamer staff....)

Thanks again!

Diversity by Design
Quote Reply
Bruce only has IE 4.01 on his Mac, so that's all he could test it with. He says that the <input type="image" ...> doesn't show at all, but the regular <input type="submit" ...> worked fine. Does anyone have Mac IE 5? My guess is that Mac IE 5 isn't submitting the name="do= ...." properly, so Gossamer Mail doesn't know what to do with the submitted form.

Adrian
Quote Reply
We're running IE 5 on the Mac - where do I need to go to run the test for you?

Hannah
> >