Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

Host deleted gmail

Quote Reply
Host deleted gmail
And I am not amused.

I have had gmail running with this host for over 12 months, never any problems. They werent to keen that it was a perl script, but they let me install it anyway.

Everything was fine until yesterday. I decided to do some clearing up and was trying to purge the users trash cans...

Over 1200 mails would be deleted... great i thought.. so I clicked 'yes' im sure.. and it sat there, and sat there and sat there..... some more... 20 mins later it is still sitting there,.

Couple of hours laer i received a message from my host. As I figured it was me who brought the server down, i explained what i was trying to do.. apologized profusely. Whilst i was messaging back and too, I tried to log into admin again, same thing. The server load went to over 100, so he deleted the login and admin files. changed ownership on the dirs and basically im buggered.

Is there any reason why it would fetch up so drastically when trying to purge messages...

incidently this was the first time i have ever used the purge messages option, i usually use the purge users who havent signed in for x amount of days...

so any info would be gratefully appreciated..

Does gmail come in php/mysql flavour??

Sorry for ranting.. im a bit annoyed..

Thank you

Tracy
Quote Reply
Re: [Welsh Dragon] Host deleted gmail In reply to
That's strange. Purging does take a bit of resources, but not enough to bog down a server that bad. What version of Gossamer Mail are you running?

On a side note, are you on a shared server or dedicated? You must be on a shared server as the admin's actions don't seem too reasonable if it was dedicated.

In Reply To:
Does gmail come in php/mysql flavour??
Sorry, it doesn't.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Host deleted gmail In reply to
Hi Brewt

Yeah, it was on a shared server, for the last 12 months too, no problems. But The domain was getting upto it's quota so I figured I would do some clearing.

I think I'm pretty much buggered at this point.

Thanks

Tracy
Quote Reply
You could do smaller purges at a time. Another thing you might try, if you can, is running the purge from shell with a lower priority on the process (nice it at +19).

Adrian
Quote Reply
well.. i would do thatr.. but the host deleted the admin.pl and login.pl, so I cant even get to the admin section anymore...

Still annoyed

Tracy
Quote Reply
If your host deletes your files, I think it's time to switch hosts.

Adrian
Quote Reply
I think you may be right Brewt.

This really is annoying.. Thanks for your replies..

Tracy
Quote Reply
Hi,

Sorry to hear about your troubles! Are they sure it was Gossamer Mail? Deleting 1200 messages will take a little time, but shouldn't be that bad on the server.

Just a comment on the hosting: on a properly configured shared server, a user should not be able to bring down a server. It's really easy to setup memory and cpu limits on scripts so that one user can't affect the entire system.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Host deleted gmail In reply to
Hi Alex.

Thanks for that..

ok the saga continues..

I managed to talk them into letting me try the script again. I tried to login to admin.cgi and the cpu load went to over 60, and eventually brought the server to a screetching halt.. Is there any reason why this would happen all of a sudden?.. It has been fine up until now...

:( Tracy
Quote Reply
Just running admin.cgi caused the cpu load to go over 60? Can you try running admin.cgi from shell to see what's going on?

Adrian
Quote Reply
Hi Adrian

yup, running admin.cgi or login.cgi causes a huge server load Frown

But I have had a thought... My host just upgraded the server to Plesk 6. Could that be the problem??

I wouldnt know how to run the script from the command line.. I'm just a girl Crazy

Thanks for your help

Tracy
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
My host just upgraded the server to Plesk 6. Could that be the problem??
Not sure.

In Reply To:
I wouldnt know how to run the script from the command line.. I'm just a girl
It's not too hard - if you have shell (telnet/ssh) access Smile
All you have to do is login, then cd into the admin directory, and then go perl ./admin.cgi

Best would be to load up another shell and run top to monitor the cpu usage on the server. If it starts to bog down the server, just ^C (ctrl+c) the admin.cgi process.

Normally, running admin.cgi should take half a second, and you'll get some html output saying your browser doesn't support frames.

If something else happens, we can take a look at it for you if you send an email to support with shell access. Of course this all depends on whether or not you have shell access.

Adrian
Quote Reply
hi again Smile

Well I asked if I had shell access, and the answer was no...

I did ask if anything other than plesk had been upgraded and he said....

you can tell them that 2.4.27 was installed with grsecurity, now I don't know what the heck that means, but it;s something to do with the kernal

Tracy