Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

Check Now pop-up window : blocked

Quote Reply
Check Now pop-up window : blocked
Hi,

I was wondering whether GT could think of something different like maybe a DHTML type false pop-up window that is just an overlay div instead of the actual pop-up window that gets blocked.

In certain cases on locked computers (admin locked) I have not been able to circumvent installed pop-up blocker software. Certain users have also complained that this happens sometimes. Saying to people you need to put the domain name in the trusted sites is one thing (and I find IMHO that forcing people to do things to use your system is not great) but they also have not always got admin access which just stop users from checking their mail.

I'm guessing I'm not the only one with this problem and I'm hoping GT can take this into account in the event of a new GMail :)

Thanks

John
Significant Media
Quote Reply
Re: [Jag] Check Now pop-up window : blocked In reply to
I would love to change gmail's check mail window not do a window.open, but there are problems that can't be solved with the way the templates are currently designed. One of these problems is that since gmail's templates don't use AJAX for displaying all the contents of the page, doing something like clicking on a folder would result in a new page load and thus losing your check mail status.

I've looked into the popup blocking issue and there shouldn't be one, except for the initial login checkmail popup (if the user has it turned on) due to it being opened on window load. Clicking on a link that results in a window.open() (like the Check Mail link) should be allowed for most (all?) popup blockers - at least it's the case for the google toolbar, ie's built in blocker, and firefox's blocker.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Check Now pop-up window : blocked In reply to
Hi Adrian,

I'm not sure whether it is due to the fact that I use POP3 accounts and don't use the single script that filters all email but when I log-in on a computer that blocks pop-ups clicking on the Check Mail link (that opens the pop-up) doesn't work either. As you say the initial configuration I have is to check mail on log-in.

Are you saying that switching that off and then clicking on the check mail will work and that having set to check mail automatically on log-in won't ?

Another thing I don't quite get is about the floating div. Are you saying that it is not possible to have the content/function displayed in the pop-up displayed in a floating div that wouldn't require reloading of the page either ?

Also I know that presently doing something like this with Gmail may be complicated but this remark was mainly aimed at an upcoming version of Gmail.

Thanks, John
Significant Media
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Are you saying that switching that off and then clicking on the check mail will work and that having set to check mail automatically on log-in won't ?
Yes, that should be the case. It's because most popup blockers will block window.open()'s that aren't a direct result of a page click. That means clicking on a link that calls javascript functions to open a popup is okay, but login and on window load, open up a popup is not okay.

In Reply To:
Another thing I don't quite get is about the floating div. Are you saying that it is not possible to have the content/function displayed in the pop-up displayed in a floating div that wouldn't require reloading of the page either ?
It would be possible to do, just that the status of the mail checking is lost when you clicked on any links on the page since those result in page loads. If we had a fully dynamic system like Google mail does (using AJAX, etc), then it would be possible to do it properly since nothing on the page actually loads a new page (it's just modified dynamically).

Adrian
Quote Reply
Hi Adrian,

Wouldn't it be possible to get the page to reload like it does with the pop-up window once the div has finished the new mail count and then open a new page with the newly downloaded mail ? I'm curious as to what code is in the pop-up window that can't been replicated in the div. Is it the code that closes the pop-up window and refreshes the page ?

John
Significant Media
Quote Reply
That's not the problem - it can be made as a div. However, what a div on the page can't do is survive the user clicking on a link (eg. view the Sent folder) while that div is showing the check mail status. It's like closing the check mail popup halfway through it checking mail, you now don't know when it's done. Using a div brings a imho pretty big limitation that you can't click on any links on the page until it's done checking mail if you want to be notified when it's done checking mail.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Hi,

OK I was a bit long in the understanding Frown

So if you had a div that covered the whole page. You know like the opaque view of windows xp when you click on the "Turn Off Computer" where there is only the central window that gives you the options of Shutdown / Standby / Restart, everything behind is greyed out or opaque. I don't know whether that is technically possible with CSS, and I'm thinking aloud but if was possible to create a intermediary div between the page and the checking mail div say with a PNG type image that allows for transparency and that would momentarily block the user from clicking on the page behind and disappear once the mail had been checked...

As for not being able to click on anything until it's finished checking unless you getting hundreds or more mails it doesn't take that long really.

Anyway I'm hoping something other than a pop-up window can be found...

Thanks,

John
Significant Media
Quote Reply
Hi brewt

has this issue been fixed in the new version. I am having these issues again with pop-up blocking systems on remote computers...

Thanks,

John
Significant Media
Quote Reply
No, it's still the same. I can't think of any way around the pop up blocker. Have you tried doing a ctrl+click on the checkmail link? That will allow popups to open with IE's popup blocker.

Adrian