Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

Time zone.

Quote Reply
Time zone.
The server is not in my time zone but I have set the server time to our local time (AKST). In my test account i have the display options set for "gossamer mails time zone". In the admin i have the admin side offset at 0 and the user side is -------- (does this mean no adjustment?). Time is displaying nine hours late in message date, yet header info indicates correct time. Sorry but I can not seem to wrap my head around this one. .. If the server time is set to our local time, what settings should be selected in admin to display correct local time in message inbox?

Thanks,

bob

.:SEAWEAD:.
Quote Reply
Re: [baidarkabob] Time zone. In reply to
You should be setting the date_offset (it's not really an offset) on the admin side to the server's timezone. For example, our servers are in PST (GMT -8), so you would change the date_offset to GMT -8:00.

The date_admin_offset is really an offset (I should get this terminology fixed). This changes the way dates are displayed in the admin. This is only useful for admin's who live in one timezone, but their server is in another.

The user side timezone setting overrides the default date_offset set in the admin.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Time zone. In reply to
Does the server need to be restarted or something? Changes to date_offset are having no effect on the time displayed at the inbox. The header says 1554 but the message says 954pm. 1554 is correct.

bob

Quote Reply
No, there isn't anything in Gossamer Mail that would require a server reboot to get working - in the *nix world, there aren't many things that REQUIRE a reboot to get working.

Remember that the user's timezone setting overrides the admin setting (think of the admin setting as a default). Can you paste the date header from the email (View Header), and also paste the date displayed by Gossamer Mail?

Adrian
Quote Reply
The users prefs are set to default timezone. This is the message display:

Date:
Thursday, November 20, 2003 7:32:45 AM
Subject:
sent at 10:30pm

This is the full header:

Return-Path: <cribob@camulod.critterweb.org>Received: from cribob by camulod.critterweb.org with local-bsmtp (Exim 4.24) id 1AMjIu-0000Go-1g for habitat@critterweb.org; Wed, 19 Nov 2003 22:32:40 -0900Received: from [148.63.114.100] (helo=lem) by camulod.critterweb.org with esmtp (Exim 4.24) id 1AMjIr-0000Ge-QO for bob@critterweb.org; Wed, 19 Nov 2003 22:32:39 -0900Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 22:32:45 -0900From: "Bob Christensen" <bob@critterweb.org>Subject: sent at 1033To: <bob@critterweb.org>Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="----=_NextPart_000_000D_01C3AEED.1243EEF0"Content-Transfer-Encoding: binaryX-Mailer: Microsoft Office Outlook, Build 11.0.5510Message-Id: <E1AMjIr-0000Ge-QO@camulod.critterweb.org>Delivery-Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 22:32:40 -0900Envelope-To: habitat@critterweb.orgMime-Version: 1.0Thread-Index: AcOvOHyJ79Io3aufSVynxQ/3UtmgKg==X-Mimeole: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1165X-Spam-Checker-Version: SpamAssassin 2.60 (1.212-2003-09-23-exp) on camulod.critterweb.orgX-Spam-Level: X-Spam-Status: No, hits=-97.7 required=10.0 tests=HTML_90_100,HTML_MESSAGE, MIME_HTML_MOSTLY,MISSING_OUTLOOK_NAME,USER_IN_WHITELIST autolearn=no version=2.60

Show Full Message Source

Last edited by:

baidarkabob: Nov 19, 2003, 11:39 PM
Quote Reply
And what is your date_offset set to in the admin?

Adrian
Quote Reply
date_offset GMT -9:00

date_admin_offset 0

Does not seem to matter if i change the date_offset, message time still won't budge.

bob

Quote Reply
Can you give me admin and that user's access (PM or email me)?

Adrian
Quote Reply
Okay there seems to be a bug in the "User Server's timezone" setting :\ I'll have to take a look at it tomorrow. For now, you'll just have to set the user's timezone to the right timezone.

[edit]
Okay, I found the problem. To fix this bug, edit admin/GMail/Messages.pm, around line 694, you'll see:
Code:
my $offset_cfg = defined($USER->{opts}->{display}->{date_offset}) && length($USER->{opts}->{display})
Change it to:
Code:
my $offset_cfg = defined($USER->{opts}->{display}->{date_offset}) && length($USER->{opts}->{display}->{date_offset})

Sorry about that.
[/edit]

Adrian

Last edited by:

brewt: Nov 21, 2003, 3:16 AM
Quote Reply
Thanks Adrian, worked like a charm.

Bob