Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

Attachments

Quote Reply
Attachments
Greetings,

I am wondering if there are plans to improve the way attachments are handled by gossamer mail. It would be nice if users were able to save the files to there hard drive in a straight forwad manner (e.g. without the default name becoming webmail.cgi). Overall the attachment section is pretty obscure and cumbersome. If my users are any test of "usability" I would have to say there is much room for improvement.

Anyone done a customization to improve attachment handling?

Thanks,

bob

.:SEAWEAD:.
Quote Reply
Re: [baidarkabob] Attachments In reply to
Hi.

IM replying wrt 2.2.0 that im using.
Tried Saving the doc attachment by rightclick save as and the file name was taken properly. Not sure about other extensions.

However, possibly there could be a "Save Attachment" link next to every attachment so that the right click stuff is avoided.

While on saving Attachment, I would love to See "Save Email" link also which just saves the text version of the mail alongwith Headers to local disk. I had already mentioned this in a separate thread wrt what I had seen on IMP Horde which is again DB based....

Just My observations...

Thnaks
Anup
Quote Reply
If you have any suggestions on what exactly to improve, I can see what I can do. I see what you mean by it being a little clumsy, but it's hard to manage with the limited space with the current style.

Quote:
It would be nice if users were able to save the files to there hard drive in a straight forwad manner (e.g. without the default name becoming webmail.cgi).
With Gossamer Mail 2.2.0+ (?), clicking on non-viewable attachments should result in the filename being set properly in their download dialog. With viewable attachments, if they click on the mime icon it will open into a new window where they can save the attachment (I just fixed this so that these also open up download dialogs, so this will be fixed in a future version).

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [anup123] Attachments In reply to
Quote:
While on saving Attachment, I would love to See "Save Email" link also which just saves the text version of the mail alongwith Headers to local disk. I had already mentioned this in a separate thread wrt what I had seen on IMP Horde which is again DB based....
Clicking "View Header" and then "Show Full Message Source" does this. If you copy that template and gut out all the html, then you'll have the source of the email.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Attachments In reply to
Hi Adrian.

A Ready To Use Link ? Somewhere in msgs_body.htm
I know it's possible... it's just that i do not really know how to do it.

Thanks
Anup
Quote Reply
With Gossamer Mail 2.2.0+ (?), clicking on non-viewable attachments should result in the filename being set properly in their download dialog. With viewable attachments, if they click on the mime icon it will open into a new window where they can save the attachment (I just fixed this so that these also open up download dialogs, so this will be fixed in a future version).[/reply]
Hi Adrian, thanks or the quick reply. When you say you just fixed things so that non-viewable attachments open up download dialogs do you mean that this will be available soon or is available with the most recent templates?

In general, I think it would help folks if the text vs html viewing icons were located at the top of the page. I think that having them located in the "attachments area" confuses people about which attachments are needing their attention and which ones are there by default. This would also give use more flexibility to modify the templates so that the attachement areas are a bit more dummy proof (just a figure of speech).

Thanks,
bob

Quote Reply
Quote:
Hi Adrian, thanks or the quick reply. When you say you just fixed things so that non-viewable attachments open up download dialogs do you mean that this will be available soon or is available with the most recent templates?
Non-viewable attachments should be fine if they click on them with current versions.
I just updated my copy to send the correct headers with the viewable attachment save as (the icon). This will be included in the next version of Gossamer Mail.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Hi Adrian.

Could you get the "Save Email" included in future release?
IMP Horde has this feature where the email (text) with header is saved to disk with just a click...

Thanks
Anup
Quote Reply
Adrian,

Thanks for improving the attachment handling in the latest release. Much appreciated.

Question about how mozilla handles attachments in GM: Why when you right click on the attachment through mozilla is there no option comprable to IE "save target as" ? The "save link to disk" option in Mozilla still yields the webmail.cgi.html as the default filename.

Thanks again for your efforts.

bob

Last edited by:

baidarkabob: May 26, 2004, 11:01 AM
Quote Reply
It's because IE actually makes a HEAD request to the server (or starts downloading) before it shows you the dialog. From the headers, it can get the intended name of the file (assuming the name is in the headers, which Gossamer Mail does). Mozilla on the other hand doesn't do this.

Adrian