Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

Question - Can I use Outlook to check GossamerMail

Quote Reply
Question - Can I use Outlook to check GossamerMail
Hello,

Can I use my own email client to check Gossamer Mail? POP?

P a i n t b a l l C i t y . c o m
http://www.paintballcity.com
Quote Reply
Re: Question - Can I use Outlook to check GossamerMail In reply to
Hi,

If you are running in individual mode, then yes, you can (kind of). In individual mode, each user has it's own pop box that can be checked via any email client like Outlook or Eudora.

In individual mode, once you log into Gossamer Mail, it defaults to removing your mail from the pop box, and putting it into Gossamer Mail. Once it's in Gossamer Mail, it's not accessible via Outlook or Eudora. (You can turn this behavior off which makes Gossamer Mail ideal as a remote email client, checking your pop box while you are on the road, etc).

If you are in shared mode, then you don't have this option, as there is only one pop box for all users.

That said, Scott has finished creating a POP server that works with Gossamer Mail. It installs as a plugin, and works on both unix and windows as a forking pop server. For the technical folks, it also installs and runs under inetd.

What this means, is that you can install this plugin and users will be able to use Outlook, Eudora or any mail client to retrieve their mail that is stored on Gossamer Mail. The plugin adds a column to the database so you can enable/disable this feature per user (making it a upsell for your users).

We plan to release this as a paid plugin shortly after Gossamer Mail 2 is released this coming week.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Question - Can I use Outlook to check GossamerMail In reply to
Hi Alex,

Your folks have installed pop plugin for me, but it's not working when i click on start it says started under 10000 port, again after a min when i click on status it says pop server not started. Do i need to configure this with inetd.
If so how can i do?.

thanks in advance,
Praveen
Quote Reply
Re: [b_praveen_kumar] Question - Can I use Outlook to check GossamerMail In reply to
Hi,

I believe we just did this for you, but for others, it's best to run this under inetd (no point in having another daemon that is always running). To do this, you add a line to your inetd.conf file:

pop3 stream tcp nowait root /path/to/gpopd.pl /path/to/gpopd.pl --service

This will run the program on the main pop server port (110). If you want it on a different port, so it doesn't conflict with an existing pop server, you could do:

gpop stream tcp nowait root /path/to/gpopd.pl /path/to/gpopd.pl --service

and add:

gpop 1100/tcp

to /etc/services file to have it run on port 1100.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Hi Alex,

Yes you have done for me, I got mail from Jack thanks for your help.

But really sorry to say when i click on start it is displaying the following error

Error: could not bind to port 1100, perhaps something is already using that port: Address already in use

I hope you will help me in debugging this out.

thanks in advance,
PraveenSmile
Quote Reply
Re: [b_praveen_kumar] Question - Can I use Outlook to check GossamerMail In reply to
Oops, you don't need to hit start. The start button is if you want gpopd to run as a daemon. You have it running under inetd, so you never need to worry about whether it's started or not, inetd will automatically run it.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Hi,

thanks for your suggestion, i am using kde mail client for retrieving pop mails.

I have checked login with username praveen@sitename.com and praveen and entered port 1100 and hostname is sitename.com.

Error connecting to sitename.com
could not login to sitename.com
I Said: "PASS<your password>"

And then server said:
"-ERR Bad Login"

your great suggestions or comments will be really helpful.
thanks in advance,
Praveen