Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

ssl login and normal thereafter. Possible?

Quote Reply
ssl login and normal thereafter. Possible?
Hi.

Is HM type of ssl login and normal http thereafter (till the session lasts) possible with GM? If yes how to go about it?

Anup
Quote Reply
Re: [anup123] ssl login and normal thereafter. Possible? In reply to
Sure it would. It wouldn't be a pretty solution, but it'd be doable. Though, if you already have ssl available, why not encrypt all traffic?

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] ssl login and normal thereafter. Possible? In reply to
Hi.

Getting everything under ssl would also lead to "apparent slow down". Yahoo and Hotmail have this of login under ssl but normal thereafter. However, if you are of opinion that having GM completely under ssl wouldn't affect the speed much appreciably, it is not a bad idea. I am having mod_gzip and GM is under mod_perl. What would you suggest?

Longin under ssl and then normal thereafter -- like HM and YM -- How to do it?
GM Completely under SSL -- This would be easy from implementation POV it seems. However, what would be the effect on speed of interfaces in general?

Anup
Quote Reply
Re: [anup123] ssl login and normal thereafter. Possible? In reply to
I myself use Gossamer Mail with everything under SSL. With modern systems, the performance impact of having to compress and decompress everything is minimal. My personal setup is Gossamer Mail under mod_perl, with mod_gzip and mod_ssl. Combine this with pop3 over ssl for any remote mail, and you have a fairly secure mail setup (assuming your server is secure).

Adrian