Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

Message Threading in GM2.2

Quote Reply
Message Threading in GM2.2
Moved the root and related mesages to a folder and turned threading on in that folder. However, I find that the thread display is from the first RE: and not from the root message. All root message (normally the first message which could either be a Sent Message or a Recd Message)

Is this normal. Logically, the Thread Display should start from the First Message in the Thread and Not First RE: unless i am missing something very obvious.

Thnx

Anup
Quote Reply
Re: [anup123] Message Threading in GM2.2 In reply to
I'll have a look into this in the next few days.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Message Threading in GM2.2 In reply to
I took another closer look at this today and the reason why it's happening is because in when using the sendmail binary, Gossamer Mail doesn't insert a message-id (leaving it for the sendmail binary to add the message-id). The message-id header is what lets mail clients figure out all the threading and because the first email (the root) doesn't have the message-id, it's not connected with the other emails.

I'll have to get back to you on the fix as I'm not quite sure about why it was done the way it was done.

Adrian
Quote Reply
To elaborate on the observations further (GM to GM on same server).

If I am the originator of the message thread, then this phenomenon is observed (ie the Threading really does not being from the Root Message but starts from the subsequent message).

If I am "Not The Originator of the Thread", then the Threading is proper starting from the root message.

Though, both the root messages are through the same sendmail wrapper on the same server using the same GM installation.

TIA
Anup
Quote Reply
Hi Adrian.

To summarize the issue wrt threading (root and sub in the same folder where threading ahs been turned on):

Irrespective of whether the messages are from
GM -> GM account or
GM -> Outise Account or
Outside Account -> GM Account

the following persists :

(1) : If the root message is not originated by the email account owner, with folder level threading On, the threading is proper (as it should be).

(2) : If the root message is originated by the email account owner, with folder level threading turned On, then the threading starts from the reply to the root message.

(1) and (2) combined means that in any case, the threading always starts from the message "which is the first recd message of the thread in the account". If this "First Recd Message" happens to be the root message then everything seems fine but in case it is not (when the root is owned by the account owner) then the Threading actually breaks.

I hope that i have expressed the scenario clearly. GM -> GM is on the same server using the same sendmail wrapper (courier mta).

Could this be fixed?

Thnx
Anup
Quote Reply
This has been fixed in 2.2.1.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Would this fix take care of messages already there or it would only be wrt messages after the upgrade to 2.2.1?

Anup
Quote Reply
No only existing messages because the disconnected root messages just don't have the Message-Id in them.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Hi.

Is it possibly to fix this without going for upgrade. If yes then what needs to be done.?

Anup
Quote Reply
Compose.pm:
Code:
@@ -915,9 +915,7 @@
}
else {
$mail->top_part->set(date => $mail->date_stamp);
- if ($CFG->{email}->{out} eq 'smtp') {
- $mail->top_part->set('Message-Id' => '<GMail.' . time . '.' . $$ . rand(10000) . '@' . $CFG->{email}->{smtp} . '>');
- }
+ $mail->top_part->set('Message-Id' => '<GMail.' . time . '.' . $$ . rand(10000) . '@' . ($CFG->{email}->{out} eq 'smtp' ? $CFG->{email}->{smtp} : $USER->{domain}) . '>');

# Check if we are over max for today
if ($CFG->{limits}{max_emails_per_day} and $CFG->{limits}{max_emails_per_day} > 0) {

Adrian

Last edited by:

brewt: Feb 11, 2004, 10:07 AM
Quote Reply
Hi.

This does not really solve the problem when GM-->HM-->GM thread is concerned.
GM-->HM the header shows Message-ID as veiwed in Message. While replying from HM, the Message-ID of GM is replaced by something of HM as shown below:

Header of GM As Saved To Sent Folder: Message-Id: GMail.1077299057.175542330.65852969052@domain

While replying from HM the Message-ID is blanked Out but the GM recepient sees the following in the Message Header:

Message-Id: BAY9-F5ssFCf1phnZcu00041fa1@hotmail.com

And there is nothing which can ever cause threading as there are no references to the GM Message-ID in above scenario. Any suggestions?

[edit] It seems the complete threading is impossible with gm->hm mail thread because of hm removing all message-id, references etc to the mail being replied from the header. Is this a general phenomenon or something associated with my case only [/edit]

Anup

Last edited by:

anup123: Feb 20, 2004, 10:25 AM
Quote Reply
It looks like it's just hotmail being stupid. We can't do much about that.

Adrian