Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

Bounces And AR

Quote Reply
Bounces And AR
Hi,

In case auto reply is set and a message bounces back. Will that result in triggering a loop so that the account keeps receiving undeliverable message continuously. I am seeing this wrt one such account.

EDIT--

Each Message Bounce has the following and landing every 15 minutes:

------

Your message to the following recipients cannot be delivered:

<@>:
<<< No such domain.
-------

I checked the maillog file and yes indeed. A mail to yahoo account from this account bounced back with following error:

554 delivery error: dd Sorry your message to shekhar_devi@yahoo.com cannot be delivered. This account has been disabled or disco...

and then started this loop. I disabled the AR for the sender account and this loop stopped. Any clues.

Anup

Last edited by:

anup123: Oct 5, 2003, 8:55 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [anup123] Bounces And AR In reply to
Hi,

There is no such problem when a mail from AR enabled GM account is sent to another AR enabled GM account.

The problem only comes when the systems sends a delivery failure report to AR enabled GM account. So loop detect fails when there is a System Delivery Status mail to a Auto Reply Enabled GM account else it is fine. Logically AR should not trigger if the To Address is not proper.

I tried the same with my own account and the following is the status after enabling Auto Reply:

Header Of Delivery Status

Return-Path: <>
Received: from localhost (localhost [127.0.0.1])
(ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc1894.txt) by
server1.sample.com with dsn; Sun, 05 Oct 2003 23:51:47
+0530
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2003 23:51:47 +0530
Subject: NOTICE: mail delivery status.
To: user@sample.com
Content-Type: multipart/report; report-type=delivery-status; boundary="=_courier_0"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Message-Id: <courier.3F806151.000007A4@server1.sample.com>
Delivered-To: mail.sample.com-user@server1.sample.com
Mime-Version: 1.0

-----------------------------Message---------------------------------

UNDELIVERABLE MAIL

Your message to the following recipients cannot be delivered:

<shekhar_devi@yahoo.com>:
mx1.mail.yahoo.com [64.156.215.5]:
>>> DATA
<<< 554 delivery error: dd Sorry your message to shekhar_devi@yahoo.com cannot be delivered. This account has been disabled or discontinued [#102]. - mta136.mail.scd.yahoo.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------

And then the Auto Reply is triggered which causes a infinte loop of mail Delivery Status Reports landing in user@sample.com every 15 minutes. Please note that the actual domains etc has been replaced with sample names.

Thnx

Anup
Quote Reply
Hi,

Any clue on this. This Loop could be painful if a large number of users setup Auto Reply on and the system delivers a Delivery Status Notice to the same account.

Anup
Quote Reply
Hi,

Now another user had this and i had to disable Auto Reply for that account. The user had more than 90 messages after the first dsn which triggered this looping.

Any help would be welcome to get over this error. Till this problem is resolved, I am disabling the Auto Reply Feature of GMail from Admin.

Thnx

Anup
Quote Reply
Hi Anup,

I've fixed this up in 2.2.0, so it will be fixed in the final 2.2.0 release. You can fix this up in the meantime by adding this code to batch/incoming.pl, right below the comment:
Code:
# Detection of loops

(It's near the bottom - about 85-90% through the file, inside 'sub autoreply')

Add:

Code:
my $retpath = $mail->top_part->get('Return-Path');
if ($retpath and $retpath =~ /<\s*>/) {
GMail->debug('Bounce detected. Not sending autoreply.') if $CFG->{debug};
return 1;
}

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Jagerman] Bounces And AR In reply to