Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

[VIRUS FILTERS] Like spam filters: How to!

Quote Reply
[VIRUS FILTERS] Like spam filters: How to!
Hello!

I have read some possibilities on the Symantec.com website. They describe some possibilities of what kind of potential areas that are in some files that come with attachments.

They could be installed as Anti-Virus filter for the users manually. So if a file comes with an attachment, it will be immediately moved to a special folder for the user or admin to check.

Following are the URLs:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/...w95.hybris.worm.html
  • Configure your email server to block or remove email that contains file attachments that are commonly used to spread viruses, such as .vbs, .bat, .exe, .pif and .scr files.
  • etc, etc, etc

• Many filter techniques could be implemented from information out there.
    Quote Reply
    Re: [rajani] [VIRUS FILTERS] Like spam filters: How to! In reply to
    More on URL:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/...2.badtrans.b@mm.html
    Quote Reply
    Competitors are coming out with features sets in this direction:

http://webbasedemail.com/antivirus.ehtml

Anup

=_= =_= =_= =_= =_= =_=

You can chain me, you can torture me, you can even destroy this body, but you will never imprison my mind.
    -Mahatma Gandhi
    Quote Reply
    Re: [anup123] [VIRUS FILTERS] Like spam filters: How to! In reply to
    Hello!

Thanks to draw my attention.

My god, many interesting different features!

I guess that for the solution they use, one may need a server-side virus checking.

But many functions impresses me in the Gmail, I do see some of the functions in there that are also SO SO necessary for a function with the admin of such a project. Stats for e.g.

What makes me upset is some of the menu buried in Gmail and Links SQL that has pissed me off a thousand times. For e.g.

It takes hours to get used to them. I found it a nightmare, even though it was not (figuratively speaking), to discover where the hell is the default setting of the main template brewt or nessa. Why the hell it is burried far down to a third level and not somewhere handy. There is no interest to get it to a third level menus of such type categoriesed in the misc. options for the admin.

Which default template is to be set is under Misc. options. It could be under the main menu Templates, where infact there and only three links! It should be next to the link globals.

Thats what I found in this example that such menu structure was very easy. GT needs such a feedback.

My sugesstion above was more kind of user account checking instead of server-side checking. This would be the case where admin does not run the scripts on a dedicated server.
    Quote Reply
    Hi,

I had Opted for GM only for speed. @mail matches HM under similar network conditions. And this conscious decision decision is going to be $500 costlier coz of POP suport whcih comes as a separate utility in GM

Anup