Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

Mail body missing

Quote Reply
Mail body missing
Hi I am seeing few mails are coming to the box OK but for few mails , the *body* part is MISSING. While checking the header of the mail where body part is missing, found the error is showing as follows: ___________________________________________ A fatal error has occured: GMail::Messages (11306): Could not open (/home/sites/mail.domain.com/data/msgs/d/a/e/daeca85873f1ca58c49f7a80896566e4) for reading. Reason: No such file or directory Please enable debugging in setup for more details. ___________________________________________ I am very new to GMail and i did not set up also the GMail.

So it will be really appreciated if i get any hints to solve this issues and also pl. let me know where i will ENABLE the debugging option.

Thanks in Advance.
Tinni
Quote Reply
Re: [Tinni] Mail body missing In reply to
Sounds like you've got a permissions problem going on there. The user incoming.pl is running as doesn't have permissions to write to that particular directory, and so the email info gets inserted into the database, but the message itself isn't written to disk.

You can enable debugging by going to the admin => Setup => Misc Setup => Debugging.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Mail body missing In reply to
Hi

Thanks a lot for your reply. I have checked the 'permission', the 'incoming.pl' is running as 'apache', and
the permission of the GMail direcory is also with user/group as 'apache'.

The incoming.pl has been set as 'cron' as follows:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0,5,10,15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50,55 * * * * /home/sites/mail.domain.com/data/batch/incoming.pl

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My qs. is - it is not always happening. I have tested , for example i have taken a mail and i tested
that mail sending to one userid through 'command line' same mail, sometimes it is coming with full body and
it is *correct* but sometimes 'blank body'.. So why sometimes the mails are allowed to write into the
directory and sometimes not? what is the reason behind!!!

I am really not understanding. Pl let me know if you need to see any directory/file permissions .

Thanks again
-Tinni
Quote Reply
You'll want to make sure that every file and directory in the data directory is writable by the apache user/group. The typical problem is that some how, directories in the data directory are created by another user and so when incoming.pl tries to write to it, it fails - but only for certain directories. The best way to ensure that all the directory permissions are correct is to cd into data/msgs and run (as root if possible):
chown -R apache.apache *

Adrian
Quote Reply
Thanks Adrian.

I have made the permission as you suggested. Now i will watch on it.

Thanks again.
-Tinni
Quote Reply
Hi Adrian,

Today again , one client complaned that he received one email without body part. I logged
into that userid, and when i am just putting the cursor on the mail , i am seeing that the mail body
but when i am going inside the mail, there is NO mail body showing and after pressing the 'View header'
getting the same message what I explained in my first mail. I ttried to 'enable' the debugging , but
when i am trying to check the 'view header' , the site trying to open something and taking long time
to open the page.

I then sent one email to that userid and found with full mail.

I am also watching that sometimes the same mail is reaching to the mail box, twice.

Pl. suggest me what to check.

Thanks
-Tinni
Quote Reply
Hi

Just a wild shot in the dark.
For mails where you see a preview but nothing when you open the mail, see if there is any attachment to the mail ... there are two at the bottm. text/html and text/plain see if one of them shows you the correct mail body.

HyTC

Thanks
HyTC
==================================
Mail Me If Contacting Privately Is That Necessary.
==================================
Quote Reply
Re: [HyperTherm] Mail body missing In reply to
Hi ,

No, it will not show as because if you check my first posting , i have already mentioned the mail
was not found in the path where it has to be written. There was permission issues. So Adrian gave me
the solution. But i am seeing that sometimes one/two mails are coming like this. So still there is
some problem somewhere.

The site which i am talking about it is not the main site installation, it is pointing to the main
domain where actual GMail has been installed.

I also noticed that sometimes one mail is coming twice , also the cron for incoming mail
has been set of timing 0,5,10.... sometimes
when the mail is just sent at 5, 10 or 15 /20 ....at this time ,just at that moment, the mail body is missing
or mails coming twice. My observation may be WRONG just i thought if this info helps to find out the problem.
As i did not install the GMail so i can't say exactly. But it is my observation last few days.

Also i noticed that only 'incoming.pl' has been set and the main installation was done on *two* sites.
One site is totally independent and for the other installation, there are 5 domains which are pointing to it.

Thanks
-Tinni
Quote Reply
If you send me shell access, admin access, and a link to an account and email that this is occuring to, I can debug it.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Hi Adrian ,

Pl. give me your email address where can i send this information.

Thanks again
-Tinni
Quote Reply
You can get it in my profile.

Adrian