Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

usernames and multipe domains

Quote Reply
usernames and multipe domains
when running multiple domains it seems that if a person signs up for john@domain1 then john@domain2 or john@domain3 can't be used... I'm wondering if that's something I've somehow caused in all my customizations or is it an intended (or unintended) feature. Is there anywhere in the code that the john part of the username/email addy is used by itself that I should worry about as we set about fixing this or does it always use the full email address including the domain part...

also, in GMail.pm I have set
$t = $ENV{HTTP_HOST} || $ENV{SERVER_NAME};
so that I can run the multiple domains and not have dropdowns for all the domain choices, template choices, etc.. instead each will have it's own that basically is controlled through the templates directory with each domain has a subdirectory that matches the domain name. I know that has been discussed in here before. My question now is, is there any reason in GMail.pm where it writes out the url_hidden that I can't have it skip writing the t=domain.com part... it'd be nice to leave this out since I'm controlling all the templates via the http_host setting.

btw - forums (esp posting) seems really slow tonite.
Quote Reply
Re: [JerryP] usernames and multipe domains In reply to
Hi Jerry,

Thanks for pointing out this. I was not aware of this limitation and would highly appreciate a solution to this that lets mike@domain1 and mike@domain2 be possibly registered by 2 different users.

Let's hope Alex has a quick fix for us in this respect.

I also am interested in having domains linked to certain templates with no drop down menus for available domains. Can you please share what to do implement this? Thanks a lot

Frank

Last edited by:

frankLo: Mar 12, 2002, 5:17 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [frankLo] usernames and multipe domains In reply to
No problem but I'm not 100% sure yet whether I broke it in my customizations or if that is the standard way it works... if you are using multiple domains and have a pretty stock installation, would it be too much to ask for you to test that... you can purge the users when you are done...

I found a lot of info in this forum which was very helpful. This is probably the most relevant post with a lot of the info on how to do it
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...orum.cgi?post=151578
give that a whirl and if you run into problems let me know and I'll see what I can do to help.
Quote Reply
Hey Jerry,

I did test it and you are correct in stating the problem. It is not related to your customization

Thanks for the link. I'll look at it and see if I can figure this out. I will post again in case I need help.

Frank
Quote Reply
Re: [frankLo] usernames and multipe domains In reply to
I appreciate your checking that... makes me feel a little better that I didn't break something else Smile I'm hoping to not have to look at this code again for a week while I have some beta users going through the system on a final run for me before launch so maybe GT will have an answer on that before then. If not, it's the top item of the few things left on our to do list.
Quote Reply
Hi Jerry,

I stand corrected.

You can have same username with different domains. I tested yesterday but for some unexplained reason, all names I tried had existing accounts which I misinterpreted as a bug.

I tested today and all is fine in that regard

Thanks

Frank