Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

bounces, multiple domains and config

Quote Reply
bounces, multiple domains and config
I've been working with the bouncing of messages and such for a couple of hours now and was wondering about a few things that don't seem right...

First, in the admin for setup -> undeliverables, I'm just wondering what other folks are using for the various settings... I figured since I'm just getting started, I set everything to bounce but added insert for the last two items so I can watch and see if there might be any config errors or things like that for a while... are there any in general that should be kept on for insert for the long term, or ones you have found helpful to keep insert on for users or something?

In incoming.pl on lines 619 and 620, the message for bounced emails when someone is over their quota is "Message is too big" That's a little confusing, why not just say "Users Quota Exceeded" or some such thing... If I sent them a message that simply said "call me", how can that message be too big? Also, line 195 has some typos (suppost to bet getting) And while I'm at it, if we set things to bounce if they aren't in authentication or validated... the reasons for those are kinda obscure (with not validated or not in authentication) if someone from the outside send them a message and sees that as the reason... Is there any plan to match up bounce codes with the normal ones used by like sendmail and such...

Next, it looks like if I send a message from one user on the system to another, and they are over the quota or dont exist, etc... I not only get the bounce but I also get the original message sent back to me as well... is this a bug somewhere that I missed? And if they aren't over quota or it's a real user and the message gets delivered properly, I still get a copy of the original message back to me as well.

Also, I'm using multiple domains and have everything set up to use the domain name associated with the users names... however, in the admin and bounces/batch stuff, it's only using the main domain where the program is installed... so it's not using the templates it should... and it's losing the To address when the bounce comes back. anyone know where to fix this and what other places I should be looking at in the admin (ie, already found in the undeliverables the transfer too doesn't give me the list of domains to select from either when transferring to another user)

Could the above problem have anything to do with the url_user problem I encountered in the register.eml validated.eml etc templates?

Thanks for any help someone can provide
Quote Reply
Re: [JerryP] bounces, multiple domains and config In reply to
since I was noting a few corrections dealing with bounces, I also realized the icon dealing with remote pop checking was a little confusing... check mail to me implies everything so if anyone wants an icon that says Check Remote instead, here it is...
Quote Reply
another typo found... do you want me to just email these to you guys or post em up here
incoming.pl around line 899
die "incoming.pl is already running with pid: $pid. Qutitting.\n";
quitting spelt wrong...
Quote Reply
You can email us the embarrassing ones. =)

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Hi,

One thing about the bounce settings, don't leave Admin Insert on unless you are going to watch the undeliverable folders. There are no limits on that folder, and you can quickly grow 20,000+ messages in no time. A good setting is to just leave everything to bounce. Admin insert is useful if you want to track something down and see why things are bouncing.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.