Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

Time Offset Seems Wrong

Quote Reply
Time Offset Seems Wrong
Is it me that's thinking wrong or is the time zone offset wrong. On the west coast we are 8 hours off GMT for PST but the setting for LA/SF etc are 7 hours. I just sent a message after setting this for the first time and it's an hour off from my server time and my time. In looking at the zones in the file, a whole bunch of them seem off by an hour. Can someone explain what's going on there please.

Also, I haven't found this yet, but where does the users selection for this get saved. Is it in the database somewhere or a cookie? And if the user doesn't set anything, is the default to use GMT or what's set in the admin?

And a suggestion while I'm at it... It would be nice on the welcome page for the users (maybe inbox also) to display the current date/time and have a link to the page to adjust the offset. Is there a tag being used now that will let me do this or do I need to create a global for it?

Last edited by:

JerryP: Mar 6, 2002, 10:36 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [JerryP] Time Offset Seems Wrong In reply to
Hello!

I was myself confused and I made a test in the forum.

A good alternative would be to really show the actual time after the change so that it can be corrected right away....
Quote Reply
Hi Jerry,

I'll check into the timezone file.

Quote:
Also, I haven't found this yet, but where does the users selection for this get saved.

Users preferences are saved in data/users/DOMAIN/u/USER/.prefs file. It defaults to whatever is in the data/templates/default/prefs.cfg which is the new preferences a user starts out with.

The current server time could be displayed with: <%GT::Date::date_get%>.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Time Offset Seems Wrong In reply to
cool. is there any reason we couldn't modify the timezone offsets to have just something like just the basic time zones and instead of the cities, just have like PST (-8 hours) or even better, since the default is PST, do something like displaying Eastern Standard Time (+3 hours) (but in the code use the -300 or whatever to make it more user friendly... and could set the order by the differences in time zones...
Quote Reply
IRC, the time being off right now is due to daylight savings. I had my timezone set to Vancouver before, and when daylight savings came into action (or out, whichever), my times were wrong, so I set it to PT.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Time Offset Seems Wrong In reply to
so do i need to remember to adjust this twice a year for daylight savings in the admin? or is there some other solution? and what about users who set it to something different than the server, say EST... do they all have to remember to adjust it twice a year...
Quote Reply
No, it's probably better to just enumerate it to -1100 - +1100 instead and let users pick from that. We'll look at updating this (just a matter of changing the select list).

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.