Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

Installation, globals.txt

Quote Reply
Installation, globals.txt
Hello Gents:

Please give some clues to the following:
1) Is it a good idea to install gmail as a seperate user/application, etc. I would like to keep applications seperated for better management(backup, etc). Has anyone done such an installation? What are some of your suggestions, complication with respect to httpd/permission, etc?

2) Why may the globals.txt not update after using the admin interface to upload a global? Its say that the changes have take place but when you check the globals.txt it is not updated.

Thank you, pcurran
Quote Reply
Re: [pyc] Installation, globals.txt In reply to
Quote:
2) Why may the globals.txt not update after using the admin interface to upload a global? Its say that the changes have take place but when you check the globals.txt it is not updated.

Check the globals.tx in the data/templates/<%t%>/local directory. This is where the globals added/modified are saved.

Even the changed / custom added templates are found here.

Thnx

Anup
Quote Reply
Re: [pyc] Installation, globals.txt In reply to
In Reply To:
1) Is it a good idea to install gmail as a seperate user/application, etc. I would like to keep applications seperated for better management(backup, etc). Has anyone done such an installation? What are some of your suggestions, complication with respect to httpd/permission, etc?

Are you talking about setting GMail up on a separate vHost on your server? I suppose it could be easier to do backups if you had GMail on a separate vHost and that account had a control panel that allows for backups. I find that it is just as easy to tar and zip the data dir and do a sql dump from the command line too though.

For me, I just set up a subdomain on my host and installed GMail to that subdomain under the same user as the main account. That works for me. I hardly have any users though. It's just primarily for me and a few friends and for Plugin development.

If you have a ton of users and you can run mod_perl, I would look into a setup like Gossamer Host has where all mod_perl requests are proxied to a mod_perl enabled Apache and all static requests are handled by a standard Apache. That would be ideal, even in a situation like mine with just a few users. mod_perl is nice and fast :)

~Charlie
Quote Reply
Re: [Chaz] Installation, globals.txt In reply to
Chaz:
I`m intending to run everthing under mod_perl.Is this not better? I guess you mean direct cgi-bin when you say static(not mod_perl).

I have not been able to run the global we talked about last week. Somehow the subroutine is not executing as when one puts it directly to Join.pm. I`m still trying to figure out the casuse becasue I would like to use globals. I will get to you on this later.
Thank you, pcurran
Quote Reply
Re: [Chaz] Installation, globals.txt In reply to
Hello Chaz:
Okay I just saw my own simple mistake. The subroute code should be coded in the admin/global as you pointed out:
1) New: image_info

2) The code should read as:
sub { ....code....}

NOT
sub image_info {.....code....}.

I was constantly using "sub image_info{.....code....}" which is wrong.

I just saw the difference but things are now completely working fine.
Thank you very much. pcurran