Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

POP Mail Plugin - Can't connect to socket 110

Quote Reply
POP Mail Plugin - Can't connect to socket 110
Greetings,

I cleared out my socket 110, no other POP servers are running on that socket. My POP3 is on socket 112 and My POP2 is on socket 109.

When installing the POP mail plugin, I went through the status portion of the setup and tried to connect to port 110 but I get this error: "Error: could not bind to port 112, perhaps something is already using that port: Permission denied"

Has anyone seen this at all? If so, I would greatly appreciate any information. I thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Avery L. Brooks
Nerds Empire, Inc.

Quote Reply
Re: POP Mail Plugin - Can't connect to socket 110 In reply to
No clue how the pop mail plugin works, etc (are you talking about the pop server addon?). but looking at your error message it looks as if it's trying to bind to port 112 instead of 110.
In Reply To:
Error: could not bind to port 112, perhaps something is already using that port: Permission denied
or is that just a typo? How is the port configuration done? Is it done in a cfg file or just gets it's port from /etc/services (for *nix). I've never seen this in action, so I have completely no clue how it works :)

In Reply To:
My POP3 is on socket 112 and My POP2 is on socket 109.
So, you're running a POP2 (109), a POP3 (112), and also now you want to run a gmail POP3 on 110?

Adrian
Quote Reply
Yes, it was a mistype; I also tried to bind it to port 112 just to see if there was something funky going on. It will not bind to port 110.

Yes, I did the change from port 110 to 112 in the /etc/services file and then restarted services. I also restarted the machine later on just to make sure it wasn't that.

Right now I have:
POP2 = port 109
POP3 = port 112
GPOP = port 110, I tried to bind it through the webpage; and through the actual POP3 setup file.

I have a feeling, I really don't know what I am doing. I read the instructions and tried to setup everything correct but right now I don't get any incoming mail at all. I am sure its in some configuration file that I will find sometime and then I will start to beat my head against my desk; again! LOL

Thanks in advance for any help,

Avery

Quote Reply
I can't start it on the website at all, but when I manually tried to start it with:

perl gpopd.pl -port 110

It seems to work. I will test more but I still don't think I am getting emails in yet. I think thats an issue with the virtusertable setup.

When I have the Deamon running, I treid to get mail through POP and it keeps giving the error: Bad Login

Thank you,

Avery
Quote Reply
Hi,

Unfortunately because of how unix systems work, only root can bind to port numbers < 1024. So you must start it from shell as root if you want to use port 110.

As for getting mail, make sure you enter your email address as the username, i.e. 'user@domain.com'.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
I did run it as root, it says its connected to port 110. But when I try to log in for the mail it says, bad username

What now?

Thanks

Avery

Quote Reply
Hi,

Try:

telnet localhost 110

and then type:

USER username@domain.com

and then:

PASS yourpassword

and does it let you in, or does it say bad password?

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
It says... Mailbox open, 6 messages

When I run incoming.pl I get this error:
Could not connect to POP3 server: Can't connect tohost: MYSERVER.com () at incoming.pl line 316. <-- Just took out my URL, but it does say that with my URL.

When I try to log into the POP3 from Hotmail.com it gives me this: POP Account failed: Bad login (13)

Thanks, I did read the help file.

Avery
Quote Reply
I got it working. It looks like 2 things I wasn't doing correctly.

1. I put the server name to log into like this:
url.com
2. I forgot to make the user account this:
me@url.com
3. Hotmail seems to be reporting false errors, because I checked the account even when it was saying bad login; and it took.

Thank you guys for all of your help, YOU ROCK!

Avery