Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

Proper external mail status

Quote Reply
Proper external mail status
I noticed that the status of mail imported from an external pop account is hardcoded to be marked "Read" (admin->GMail->POP3.pm->around line 458). This gets to be a pain if you are importing a lot of mail from an external account that you have already read.

Why not read the Status header of the incoming message and set the GMail msgtrack_status accordingly? Is this something GT would consider doing for the next update?

I would like to go ahead and modify the script myself, but I'm not sure how to get the value of the message Status header. Any ideas?
Michael Coyne
seaturtle.org
Quote Reply
Re: [mcoyne] Proper external mail status In reply to
Quote:
Why not read the Status header of the incoming message

What status header? The POP3 protocol does not differentiate between read and unread messages. What header are you seeing?

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Proper external mail status In reply to
If you look at messages in an mbox there is a header "Status:". Before the message has been read/downloaded by your e-mail client it will say "Status: New" (I think). That header line changes to "Status: RO" after you read/download it, and a new header "x-Status" is added to that message in the mbox. Not sure what the x-Status header is for as I have never seen it have a value.

For example one of my messages might look like this (in part):
Quote:
Subject: MTNs are finished
To: mcoyne@seaturtle.org
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="part1_64.26a0d1c3.2ad45250_boundary"
X-Mailer: AOL 6.0 for Windows US sub 10578

This is how my Eudora at home knows to mark messages as read that I have previously downloaded with Eudora at work. Apple's new Mail.app, and Outlook Express also behave this way. I haven't used any other mail clients so not sure if they all do it.

You don't need to be able to manipulate the header to do what I am talking about, you just need to be able to retrieve the value to see if the message has been previously accessed.
Michael Coyne
seaturtle.org
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Proper external mail status In reply to
Hello? Anyone home?
Michael Coyne
seaturtle.org
Quote Reply
Re: [mcoyne] Proper external mail status In reply to
Sorry about the late reply..

I haven't seen a POP server that munges the headers permently. EMail clients track what you have download and what you haven't by using UIDL command.

Are you using IMap protocol at the office or at home? This might make more sense.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.