Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

a user login crashes internet connection

Quote Reply
a user login crashes internet connection
Hi guys,

Not sure if anyone else has had this problem, and I can't replicate it on the freemail demo site, but on my installation whenever I log into GM to check mail it blows out my internet connection when the main page is about halfway loaded. I'm not sure if I have ever checked the mail on this computer that I'm using, so my guess is that the cause of it is either my firewall (Black Ice and hasn't caused a problem on other computers I have had it on) or something I have too strictly set up in the browsers security settings (which are custom set but probably similar to high security settings). It's running Win98 and IE5, and like I said I can't replicate it on the freemail site. I also haven't had any complaints from users about it crashing a browser, so I'm pretty sure it's something to do with my specific setup. I can crash my connection easily and even if I do nothing but restart the computer, unplug and reconnect the cable modem, open a browser and try to log in, it will crash the connection. Does anyone have an idea of where to start looking for the root cause of the problem or has anyone else experienced anything like this. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: [JerryP] a user login crashes internet connection In reply to
on a quick note, I just installed netscape and I get the same exact problem, so I am guessing it's not the browser's security settings... this ought to be fun. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Quote Reply
wow that's really strange. Where are you connecting to (like the is the Gossamer Mail install remote)? Have you tried another browser (eg. Mozilla/Netscape, Opera)? Do you have anything modified on your Gossamer Mail install?

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] a user login crashes internet connection In reply to
I don't think it's the browser because it does the same thing in IE5 and NN4.76. I can call up the login screen but when it loads the home page (with the in box), that's it. No more internet connection. I have to go into winipcfg, release my IP, unplug the cable modem and wait about 20 seconds, plug it back in and then renew the IP in winipcfg. I had a friend log in on his computer, not sure what he is running yet, but he logs in fine. Because it's IE and NN, I don't think it's the security settings in IE that I have custom set fairly high. I added the site to my trusted sites anyways, still kills the connection. I have a fair number of users and haven't heard a peep about problems from anyone. The install is very customized. And all I'm trying to do is log into my account on one of the domains we having it running on. Haven't called the cable company yet, that's next. I can go anywhere else on the net, no problem. I can use my yahoo account fine. I've never heard of an app being able to crash a connection like this and can only assume it's some freaky combination of the app, my computer, cable modem, etc... Vewy vewy stwange.

I just need help figuring out where to look
Quote Reply
hrm... what about you try save the login page html onto your hard drive, edit it to add in a <BASE HREF="http://domain.com/path/to/cgi"> in the html (so that the url's still work), and try logging in that way? Don't know if it will help any but worth a try I guess.

Adrian
Quote Reply
haven't had a chance to do that, will try it.. but here's a real kicker. Ihooked up my old computer running windows 95, same internet connection. same problem, KABOOM, when I try and log in my internet connection goes away. So it's not my computer and it can't be the site since someone else has logged in with my login info... where do I look next... I'm trying RoadRunner / TimeWarner but expecting that to be time consuming and slow. Any ideas?
Quote Reply
Well, I can tell you now what the problem is and you might want to make a note of this for future reference, although I'm not sure there is anything you can do about it because it only seems to happen on my install. The problem is Motorola Surfboard 4200 cable modems. One tech was out on Monday and switched to another 4200, same problem. Another tech came out today (with his laptop which also had the same problem of crashing the connection). He switched to an older 3100, and voila, it's working now, so the problem is most definitely that cable modem. I don't know if that makes the problem limited to Time Warner or not, not sure if these modems are used with other providers. But if anyone has a problem like mine that just seems weird, I'd check and see if they are on that modem.

Jerry