Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

incoming.pl Q on matching recipients

Quote Reply
incoming.pl Q on matching recipients
in the incoming.pl program around line 518 you are getting a list of possible recipients matching on things like to, cc, bcc etc... but why is this line in there?
$head->split_field('Received'),
all the others are who the message is going to, but this one seems to cover who its from when it goes through all the email headers. The reason I ask is that I somehow managed to get it so one user on the system sending an email to another on the system would get a copy of the message they sent in their inbox, as if they cc'd themselves. Once I commented out this line, it seems to be working fine.

Is this a bug or is there some other reason the Received header should be in there?
Quote Reply
Re: [JerryP] incoming.pl Q on matching recipients In reply to
Hi,

The received line needs to be there to catch BCC's on some systems. If you are using qmail or have a specific version of Sendmail, you can replace this with 'Delivered-To' or 'X-Envelope-To' instead to catch BCC's.

A user still should not be able to get the email though. Can you send me the full headers of that message?

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] incoming.pl Q on matching recipients In reply to
Here's the relevant stuff from the two received headers I'm finding..

Received: ... for <testfree@domain.com>; Sun, 3 Mar 2002 20:30:50 -0800 (PST) (envelope-from testpays@domain.com)

Received: ... (envelope-from testpays@domain.com)

That's why I had to dump the Received match. Which specific versions of sendmail do you recommend using the 'Delivered-To' or 'X-Envelope-To' with... and is there one or the other or both of those that should be used???
Quote Reply
Hi,

For best results, we recommend modifying sendmail to work as outlined here:

http://www.sendmail.org/faq/section3.html#3.29

and then we can alter your incoming.pl to recognize the new X- headers.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
any other alternatives there? I use procmail already and it doesn't get along with freebsd so well when there are attachments, if you throw a 10 or 15 MB attachment at it, load on the server shoots way way up...

I just tried sending a message with a users email addy Bcc'd and sure enough there's nothing in the message that appears in the mailbox and never gets where its going... Maybe we'll have to look at fixing up sendmail to do this...

Thanks for the info
Quote Reply
Hi,

Another alternative is to switch to the Pipe mode. This works well under high volume of mail if you run it under SpeedyCGI, and works well for low loads without it (we have someone averaging 250 messages a minute running in pipe mode under SpeedyCGI). There is an issue with pipe mode and inserts, so if you want to go that route, let me know and I'll send you a new incoming.pl with some fixes.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
we are looking at this now... what do you guys recommend for using multiple domains... the sendmail rule seems to apply to one domain if you are only using a single catchall for all the domains
DOMAIN=domain.com
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
http://www.sendmail.org/faq/section3.html#3.29

and then we can alter your incoming.pl to recognize the new X- headers.

Hi Alex, I tried this sendmail fix sometime ago, but didn't realize there were changes needed for incoming.pl. Regular mail shows up with an X- header, but Bcc mail is not getting delivered. I wonder what the changes are to incoming.pl and if I need them?
Michael Coyne
seaturtle.org
Quote Reply
Re: [mcoyne] incoming.pl Q on matching recipients In reply to
We're working on this now Michael, do you see the part in the sendmail faq where you add the X-Envelope-To header. If you did that, then you need to go into incoming.pl and look for this line (around line 512 for me)
# Get a list of all possible reciepts
and just underneath are the headers it matches on... copy and paste one of them changing the new one to Envelope instead of say Received...
Quote Reply
Thanks Jerry! That worked like a charm. I am not getting bcc mail and it fixed a long standing problem I've been having getting mail from some listservs.

Let me know if you get an answer on using this fix with multiple domains.
Michael Coyne
seaturtle.org
Quote Reply
Re: [mcoyne] incoming.pl Q on matching recipients In reply to
glad to help... i'll try and keep you posted on the multiple domain issue, my programmer and I are going to work on it again tonite... Also, I think it does depend upon the mail server (sendmail vs. qmail) you use... I know we also had to comment out the Received header matching because mail sent from one user on the system to another user was ending up in both mailboxes because of the received header... so if you are using sendmail, you might want to watch out for that... the other part of this that's difficult is maintaining all the co-branding and globals we have set up for each domain...