Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

Question about BCC:

Quote Reply
Question about BCC:
My question is about BCC.. I sent an email out to someone who is not using GMail and sent the same email message using the BCC: to someone who is using GMail. I know the user exists because I created it. But I am getting Undeliverable Messages. This must be an error on GMail's end, or is there something I can do to fix this problem????

Mike
Quote Reply
Re: [pcmike] Question about BCC: In reply to
I already replied to this in email, but for the benefit of others, here's the reason why:

For Bcc'ed emails to Gossamer Mail users to work (with a shared POP3, aka. catchall, configuration), your mail server must add in a Delivered-To (or equivalent) header to the email. This is because if such a header isn't present, incoming.pl has no way of knowing who the email was intended for.

Mail servers such as qmail (not sure which other ones also do), add a Delivered-To header, which includes the email address of the person who the email was actually delivered to. Sendmail, unfortunately, does not include such a header. You can get it to add one by following the directions here:
http://www.sendmail.org/faq/section3.html#3.29

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Question about BCC: In reply to
Ok, I sent a message to one of our accouts in the bcc line (pcmike@bay.flrealtor.net) and this is the header I get back. The Delivered-To line reads catchall and not pcmike, so the email gets bounced back. See the header below..

Sorry it didn't work out!
-------------------------------------------------------------
Return-Path: <pcmike@dmwebhosting.com>
Received: (qmail 31672 invoked from network); 31 Jul 2003 23:39:32 -0000
Received: from unknown (HELO mike) (68.59.155.24) by
customer-server-213.servepath.com with SMTP; 31 Jul 2003
3:39:32 -0000
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 18:40:41 -0500
Subject: BCC Test
To: <mrranklin@comcast.net>
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
boundary="----=_NextPart_000_008F_01C35793.3E8330E0"
X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.50.4922.1500
Message-Id: <009201c357bd$2970ce40$35fea8c0@mike>
Delivered-To: catchall@bay.flrealtor.net
Mime-Version: 1.0
X-Mimeole: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.50.4925.2800
X-Msmail-Priority: Normal
X-Priority: 3
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Question about BCC: In reply to
Adrian, I've done the above and it works. I had to upgrade from SM 8.11.6 to 8.12.10 to get it to work though.

I'm having one remaining problem. The mail appears to be expanded to all the BCC users now. However, GMail is bouncing back the e-mail saying that the e-mail address of the list can't be found (the mail was sent to the listserv e-mail address, which remained in the To: section) and it's bouncing back an e-mail for every user the mail was sent to. Is there a workaround for this?

I've tried changin X-Envelope-To to Delivered-To, but that doesn't seem to have any effect on the bounces.
Quote Reply
Re: [grid] Question about BCC: In reply to
If you send me the email headers of the email that's bouncing, I can tell you why it's bouncing it. Also tell me the user's email address.

Adrian