Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

Pre Sales Questions

Quote Reply
Pre Sales Questions
I didn't see the following things in the demo and am assuming they are not currently available in the program. Can you please correct me on anything that exists (that I missed) as well as let me know a time table if any of these items are planned. I've been looking at your product for several weeks now, and basically, these are the only items holding me back from purchasing it:

1.) Statistical Information. A grid showing total users, new users, users logged in, messages sent, messages received, etc. with data provided for each item on a today, this week, this month, this year format. There should be an advanced reporting format that lets you select a specific date range as well as extract aggregate demographical information, etc.

2.) Ability to e-mail users on the system (as a whole). You really want an awesome system, the ability to define demographically targeted ads and then have them automatically inserted into newsletter "hot spots", in example, if I wanted to send a newsletter, I could define a "default" add for top of page as well as an ad to target men between certain ages, another ad to target people in a specific state, another ad to target people with a certain ISP/offsite e-mail domain, etc. Of course you'd have to allow the user to set priorities (if I have a man from AOL in this state, which ad does he see??). It would probably be essential to be able to dynamically insert more then 1 such group of ads so you could have "top of page", "middle of page", and "bottom of page".

If those two things were available, I'd already have ordered it. These would be excellent bonuses:

1.) The ability to define an "after login" message to present a message to all users, i.e. an announcement. Each user would see it only once, and would have up to three buttons depending on the configuration of that message, one to direct the user to a give location, one to continue into the mail, and one to have that item e-mailed to the user for later review. Essentially, if I setup new forums on a site running this program, I could go in and say for all users to see a notice about my new forums?? I could potential sell ads in the same manner, alert users to system outages, and all sorts of other great things.

2.) Add spellchecker.net to the body of the e-mail form (its free to use, you'd need to distribute their js file as well as a small cgi file they need to work, and add a small segment of code to the html form). This would let end users spell and grammer check their messages on the fly. Everyone.net uses this service as well as all sorts of other places, programs, etc.

3.) Integrated banner ad management, rotation, demo based targeting, etc... and/or an interface to readily tie into another system with some replacement items that could be added to the code to dynamically insert their demo items (like <<AGE>> being replaced with their age, <<STATE>> being replaced with their state, etc...).

I could probably go on for hours, but I'll stop for now... <grin>

Quote Reply
Re: Pre Sales Questions In reply to
How about the ability for end users to block a user with one click instead of having to select filters and define it, etc... Just a single link next to the sender in the header that says [block this user]

Quote Reply
hi,
yes,i do agree with you guy's the most needed future's is :

1-Statistical Information -showing total users, new users, users logged in, messages sent ,ect

2-block sender next to the sender mail like in yahoo,

And one more feture from me,is supporting microsoft SQL and oracl database ,

but if thay do add these futures,
don't you think guy's that 450 $ will be very cheep for broduct like that Tongue

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
1.) Statistical Information. A grid showing total users, new users, users logged in, messages sent, messages received, etc. with data provided for each item on a today, this week, this month, this year format. There should be an advanced reporting format that lets you select a specific date range as well as extract aggregate demographical information, etc.
No, the information is all there in the database but there are no built in reports yet. This is definately a good feature and something we will add in. With a little SQL knowledge, you could get at this information right now (but yes, we will add a user interface).

In Reply To:
2.) Ability to e-mail users on the system (as a whole). You really want an awesome system, the ability to define demographically targeted ads and then have them automatically inserted into newsletter "hot spots", in example, if I wanted to send a newsletter, I could define a "default" add for top of page as well as an ad to target men between certain ages, another ad to target people in a specific state, another ad to target people with a certain ISP/offsite e-mail domain, etc. Of course you'd have to allow the user to set priorities (if I have a man from AOL in this state, which ad does he see??). It would probably be essential to be able to dynamically insert more then 1 such group of ads so you could have "top of page", "middle of page", and "bottom of page".
Our development version has the ability to send messages to the entire user base (without duplicating the message a thousand times). We will look into the ability to send it to a specified group, or filtered set of users; but no, this isn't in the current version.

As for the other features:

1. This could be done with the template system. Adding to your welcome page something like:

<%if SeenIntro%>
regular html
<%endif%>
<%ifnot SeenIntro%>
custom things
<%endif%>

and then just set SeenIntro for that user to 1 once he has seen it.

2. Thanks, I hadn't seen that before. I'll look at how to best integrate or make it available.

3. Most likely we will work on providing an easy api to some of the more popular ad banner programs. A quality program takes quite a while to create, and their are already a lot of great ones out there.

Thanks for the feedback!

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
The next version is using our new SQL engine which will be compatible with Oracle and MS SQL 7. It is still a while away as we are finishing Links SQL first, however, yes, the cost will go up in the next version (it will remain a free upgrade to version 1.x users).

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.