Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

Poll: Users/RAM/MySQL/Bandwidth/Processor

Quote Reply
Poll: Users/RAM/MySQL/Bandwidth/Processor
Hi all,

In order to better understand how to optimally setup GM for high traffic use, it would be great if we can share the various server configurations we are using and that are resulting in good performance of GM as per server load and user experience.

So, how about answering the following:

1) How many users do you have?
2) Average number of users that login daily
3) How much RAM do you have in database server?
4) Are you using modperl?
5) Do you have a dedicated server? What processor speed?
6) Are you running into MySQL connections problems?
7) How would you rate your users experience? 1-5 5 being best

Thanks to all

Frank
Quote Reply
Re: [frankLo] Poll: Users/RAM/MySQL/Bandwidth/Processor In reply to
1) How many users do you have? - 24,900
2) Average number of users that login daily - 1,381
3) How much RAM do you have in database server? - 1.5 gig
4) Are you using modperl? - No
5) Do you have a dedicated server? Yes What processor speed? 2ghz
6) Are you running into MySQL connections problems? Not at all
7) How would you rate your users experience? 1-5 5 being best - 5

This is the fourth code base we have used at http://www.femail.sissify.com with a very active userbase. It is storing over a quarter of a million messages, and receives/sends about 3 messages a second on the system. Gossamer Mail is working flawlessly.

We had used @Mail for a year, and it had so many MySQL problems, it would randomly lock tables, and lose mail. It was a mess, and the bouncing/overquota system recursed till the server died.

Our server is running at less than 1 on top all the time, our other system based on @mail would often hit the 25's. We're tickled with the code base, stability and speed. Try it out! http://www.femail.sissify.com

Ri
Diversity X Design

Last edited by:

diversity: Feb 28, 2002, 11:25 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [diversity] Poll: Users/RAM/MySQL/Bandwidth/Processor In reply to
Hi Diversity,

Thanks for info. It is very much appreciated.

Do you use SCSI or IDE HDs? What size and RPM?

How much bandwidth are your users taking rvery month?

Thanks again

Frank
Quote Reply
We're using IBM SCSI drives, think they're 7400rpm spindles, but could be wrong.

We transfer about 8 gigs a month with just the mail system, and about another 90 with the main site.

Diversity by Design
Quote Reply
Yey RI,

I looked at your site and noted you are offering 5 MB per account. At 25,000 accounts, you would theoretically need 125 GB HD space. How much in reality are your email users using in storage space?

Thanks again

Frank
P.S. Any other high traffic GM users to share their data? That would be really appreciated
Quote Reply
Wink Yeh! I added that up too! Actually we're only using about 11gigs currently. We're using 18's....

Diversity by Design
Quote Reply
I've got GMail running on an old Pentium Pro 200/512k cache system with 256MB of RAM and 27GB of 7200 RPM SCSI drives. The MySQL server is configured in similar fashion but has more disk space. We only have 115 users of the system and only see about 100 emails in and out of the system per day. Based on performance testing and monitoring I think these two systems could handle roughly 150 simultaneous users without unacceptably slow. I doubt that I'll ever see the day we have that many users with our small site.
Quote Reply
diversity, just out of curiousity what operating system are you running and how long did it take you to get to 25k users? and I took a look at your site, fantastic job of integrating the system into your site... it looks really great... maybe GT should talk to you guys about some template designs to add to the distribution.
Quote Reply
Re: [JerryP] Poll: Users/RAM/MySQL/Bandwidth/Processor In reply to
Wow! Some impressive figures. Makes for good reading.

Can you just briefly tell me why aren't you running mod_perl? Don't you think with such an active site you should look into this?

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Poll: Users/RAM/MySQL/Bandwidth/Processor In reply to
Only due to ignorance... and hosting that doesn't allow us root, even with dedicated servers. Their service has been awesome though, and I have no complaints. Usually, if I understand something well enough.. then they will let me change it.

Considering I could really mess it up without their assistance, I usually defer to them. They won't install it, at least the last time I looked.

Now if it's a wrapper that can be installed per account, and not globally... I would have a chance!

GMail is working pretty quickly on the new 2ghz machine, but I can sure feel the lag on GForum on a dual 600. <sigh>

Please tell me more!

Diversity by Design
Quote Reply
Re: [JerryP] Poll: Users/RAM/MySQL/Bandwidth/Processor In reply to
We're running Linux 2.2.20.. and it took about 3 years to build up that amount of users. We average currently about 30 signups a day.

I would love to do a template set for Gmail... we'll be starting a new site soon called "EarthNow.org" that will be a news system for alternative thought that allows commenting on the articles etc using a PostNuke base.

I hope to put up a copy of GMail there as well.. and there would be a great opportunity for a template set!

Thanks for the kind words! Blush

Diversity by Design