Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

Ownership issues?

(Page 2 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Ownership issues? In reply to
Hi Alex,

I have done all the run on a fresh test install and found that the problem is reproducible for sure. If I could get a test account (web+ssh+database) on any other server I am sure that the same can be duplicated elsewhere too as it would just require installation of 2.1.1 version that I have recently tested with.

I am talking to few ppl to see if they can provide the account (though it sort of becomes embarassing as they say why do i need a test account when I already have a dedicated server) but i am not sure whether I'll be able to succeed. If i do not manage to get, then it seems it is a situation of deadlock. Undoubtedly you would be more eager than me to get this issue resolved.

At least on the mesasge count as done by consistency.pl is clear (it's a matter of which table is being referenced and how the count is being done because 60 messages explode to 185 in msgsdata table).

The only issue remains is the non deletion of files on disk through Purge. The user level emtry folder and admin level empty folder works so it is not a problem with server setup also otherwise even that would not have cleaned up the messages from disk. Also consistency.pl --fix cleans up the messages from disk so even that proves that the Fault Still Remains with 'Purge Messages' action which is not doing the cleaning work on disk nor is it throwing any error message.

Will running in debug mode (what level?) give anything sensible for debugging so that if needed I can re-run the trials on the test install. With some passage of time I would indeed test the "Purge User" option to see if the same problem exists there also as currently specifying small number for days does not allow to purge users.

Thnx

Anup
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Ownership issues? In reply to
Hi Alex,

I am sort of trying to see the difference. consistency.pl --fix works but purge doesn't. If i am correct then Purge.pm is being used for purge operations. Though i do not understand much of perl etc... but where exactly in Purge.pm the data on disk is being referenced. It's all tables and tables (maybe my ignorance would prove me wrong) and that's why Purge is cleaning the tables.
Code:
sub msgs_purge {
# -------------------------------------------------------------------
# Purge a small number of messages.
#
my $url = $IN->param('purge_url');
$IN = GT::CGI->new($url);
my $cgi = $IN->get_hash;

delete $cgi->{msgtrack_id};
($cgi->{so} and ($cgi->{so} =~ /((?:asc)|(?:desc))/i)) ? ($cgi->{so} = $1) : ($cgi->{so} = 'asc');
$cgi->{sb} ||= 'msgs_sent';
$cgi->{mh} = -1;
my ($tb, $cond) = _build_query_cond($cgi) or return;
my $cnt = $tb->count($cond);
$cnt or return (FAILURE, { error => 'No messages to delete' });

$tb->delete($cond);

return(SUCCESS, { del_num => $cnt, message => "$cnt messages have been purged" });
}

consistency.pl does have the reference to disk

Code:
sub check_messages {
my ($path, $tb, $cnt, $fix) = @_;
opendir DIR, $path or die "Could not opendir $path; Reason: $!";
my @files = grep !/^\.\.?$/ => readdir DIR;
my $num_del = 0;
for (@files) {
print "\nWorking on $path/$_\n";
$num_del += _check_files("$path/$_", $tb, $fix);
}
print "\n$num_del messages were on disk and not in the database\n";
}

Even in msgs.pm (which i think is being used for "delete" or "Empty Folder" has a reference to disk. This could possibly explain why delete/empty folder/consistency.pl --fix all works fine. So in Purge where exactly is the reference to the disk like in consistency.pl where $path really eliminates the errors when run with --fix mode and in msgs.pm the disk is referenced so delete works.

Please ignore my ignorance, but logically i am trying to see where exactly the Purge operation is calling the disk or is it that Purge is all about clearing the database....

Help me understand thinking that yes i am a layman as far as pm/pl is concerned.

Thnx
Anup

Last edited by:

anup123: Jun 8, 2003, 6:34 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [anup123] Ownership issues? In reply to
Quote:
If I could get a test account (web+ssh+database) on any other server I am sure that the same can be duplicated elsewhere too as it would just require installation of 2.1.1 version that I have recently tested with.

Hey Anup,

PM me with the user name and password that you want to use and I'll set you up with an account to use for testing. The server does have suEXEC enabled if you think that will make a difference.

~Charlie
Quote Reply
Re: [Chaz] Ownership issues? In reply to
Hi Charlie,

As always, you have been the most helpful one. I am going to reveal yet anotther shock wrt data integrity check with respect to Admin-Purge_Messages issue. I am starting a new thread for that and please see and correct me if I am making no sense or see if you could break the ice.

Before i finally give up, I'll surely PM you the details of account username and password that you can set up my account with for test. I must say that I am delaying the same on purpose because I want to be dead sure that My Server Set Up Is so conked up (which i refuse to believe) that it won't let the admin fucntions to run....

Thnx

Anup

----Edit-----

Need Confirmation From GT: Am i allowed to do this. Run a test install on a test account provided by Charlie. I am asking this in compliance to licensing policy. I know that I am doing it on my server but the difference is that in case of Account created by Charlie which is not a long term one and i believe would not last for more than 7 days.

Last edited by:

anup123: Jun 8, 2003, 9:37 AM
> >