Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

Out of memory problems : incoming.pl

Quote Reply
Out of memory problems : incoming.pl
Hi everyone

We've suddenly starting experiencing problems with incoming.pl.

We've got it running on a cron job every 5 minutes to deliver all incoming mail. In the last couple of days we've been receiving messages from root with the following info:

Out of memory!
Callback called exit at /home/sites/site13/web/cgi-bin/webmail/batch/incoming.pl line 21. END failed--cleanup aborted at /home/sites/site13/web/cgi-bin/webmail/batch/incoming.pl line 33. Callback called exit at /home/sites/site13/web/cgi-bin/webmail/batch/incoming.pl line 33. BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /home/sites/site13/web/cgi-bin/webmail/batch/incoming.pl line 21.

Has any body got any ideas what might be causing this?
We've got a Cobalt RAQ 4 server with ample memory and loads of HDD space.

Cheers,

Hannah
Quote Reply
Re: [hannahmackenzie] Out of memory problems : incoming.pl In reply to
What version of Gossamer Mail are you running? I think versions < 2.2.0 had a mail parsing perl bug where large emails could result in incoming.pl taking up 100MB+ of memory.

Exactly how much memory do you have?

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Out of memory problems : incoming.pl In reply to
Hi Adrian

We've got 256mb of RAM and we're running version 2.1.1

Cheers,

Hannah
Quote Reply
It may be getting stuck on a single large email. Can you run incoming.pl manually and see what happens?

Adrian
Quote Reply
Yep - can run it manually - it takes some time but, it does run.

Hannah
Quote Reply
Well that's strange. I think the parser fix in 2.2.0 would help out with the memory. I'm almost done with finishing up 2.2.1, so I'd recommend waiting for that instead (should be released sometime next week if no big issues arise).

Adrian
Quote Reply
adrian,

thanks for the info about the new version. We should be able to hang on for the latest version!

Ta.

Hannah