Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

Message Loop Problem GM2.2

Quote Reply
Message Loop Problem GM2.2
Hi.

A case of "Message Loop" in 2.2Gm which goes undetected.

Scenario: GM Account With Autoresponder On And Outside Account With Auto Responder On.

Mail From Outside Account To GM Account Triggers This :

Outised Ac --> AR GM --> Outside Acount -->Outside AR -->GM --> AR GM--> Outisde Acount ........ and this infinite loop carries on.

The header of a AR message from outsde Mail Account is given below:

Return-Path: <sampleuser@rediffmail.com>
Received: from rediffmail.com ([203.199.83.24]) by
server1.sampledomain.com with esmtp; Sun, 16 Nov 2003 03:13:31
+0530
Received: (qmail 6560 invoked by uid 510); 15 Nov 2003 21:43:40 -0000
Date: 15 Nov 2003 21:43:40 -0000
Subject: vacation mail
To: jobs@gmdomain.com
Content-Type: text/plain
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Message-Id: <20031115214340.6557.qmail@webmail14.rediffmail.com>
Delivered-To: mail.gmdomain.com-jobs@server1.sampledomain.com
Mime-Version: 1.0

The header of another AR message in the loop is as follows:

Return-Path: <sampleuser@rediffmail.com>
Received: from rediffmail.com ([203.199.83.144]) by
server1.sampledomain.com with esmtp; Sun, 16 Nov 2003 02:53:51
+0530
Received: (qmail 7842 invoked by uid 510); 15 Nov 2003 21:24:04 -0000
Date: 15 Nov 2003 21:24:04 -0000
Subject: vacation mail
To: jobs@gmdomain.com
Content-Type: text/plain
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Message-Id: <20031115212404.7840.qmail@webmail22.rediffmail.com>
Delivered-To: mail.gmdomain.com-jobs@server1.sampledomain.com

The header of the First Mail from the outside account (With AR Enabled) to AR enabled GM account which triggered all this is as follows:

Return-Path: sampleuser@rediffmail.com

Received: from rediffmail.com ([202.54.124.153]) by server1.sampledomain.com with esmtp; Sat, 15 Nov 2003 12:26:33 +0530

Received: (qmail 8324 invoked by uid 510); 15 Nov 2003 06:56:04 -0000

Received: from unknown (61.11.54.41) by rediffmail.com via HTTP; 15 nov 2003 06:56:04 -0000Date: 15 Nov 2003 06:56:04 -0000

From: "Name" <sampleuser@rediffmail.com>To: jobs@gmdomain.com

Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="=_20488-1068879424-1-2"Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Message-Id: 20031115065604.8323.qmail@webmail8.rediffmail.com

Delivered-To: mail.sampledomain.com-jobs@server1.sampledomain.com

Reply-To: "Name" <sampleuser@rediffmail.com>

This loop continues indefinitely till the AR of GM account is temporarily disabled.

Need a fix for this scenario urgently.

Thnx

Anup

Last edited by:

anup123: Nov 16, 2003, 11:16 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [anup123] Message Loop Problem GM2.2 In reply to
I'll have to look into this a little closer tomorrow, but I think this isn't something we can do anything about since it's not a problem specific to Gossamer Mail. Mail loops like that are just something that mail administators have to deal with manually.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Message Loop Problem GM2.2 In reply to
Hi Adrian.

I'll wait for yr final comments. However, as an addendum to this ... How to stop AR to a Re:...... message? In case there are 10 mails exchanged on one subject with one recepient, there are 10 AR also. I would want that AR does not go to a Re:.... message.

Also, does AR go to all incoming messages or only to messages coming to Inbox?

Thnx

Anup
Quote Reply
I discussed this with Jason and we both came to the conclusion that this is a problem that all mail programs can't really deal with automatically. The problem is that there's nothing in the autoreplied email that you can use to detect a loop.

In Reply To:
How to stop AR to a Re:...... message?
The 'easiest' way would be to write a plugin to do it. You can write a pre hook on incoming::autoreply.

In Reply To:
Also, does AR go to all incoming messages or only to messages coming to Inbox?
It autoreplies on all messages.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Hi Adrian.

So AR Enabled combination of GMail and rediffmail accounts are going to enter this loop situation. Tried the same with rediffmail<-->yahoo AR enabled account combination and it does get terminated at Yahoo end. Also, yahoo does not send an AR repeated to an AR from rediffmail.

This becomes pertinent as rediffmail is largest free email service provider in india.

Thnx

Anup
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Tried the same with rediffmail<-->yahoo AR enabled account combination and it does get terminated at Yahoo end.
Really? Can you paste the headers of the auto-reply that get to the yahoo account? Maybe there's a set of headers that are added.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Hi,

Yahoo adds the following for messages moved to Bulk Folder (created automatically if not there)

X-YahooFilteredBulk: 203.199.83.28

And this stops the loop cycle but with a penalty that the message is treated as SPAM.....

A suggestion (how practical and technically correct i am not aware) would be to restrict the number of AR from GM accounts to a given email address to one in 24 hours. It's no point exchanging AR continuously for all messages sent to any given email id in a given day. Yahoo seems to have marked AR as SPAM and created a Bulk folder and moved the same to that folder which prevented further progression of AR loop. Looping could lead to an email address being marked as SPAMer's address like it happened in the above case with rediffmail<-->Yahoo mails with both accounts having AR active.

Thnx

Anup
Quote Reply
Hi Adrian.

How is it handled in the shared GMail hosting offered by GT? Actually it could get very nasty if say 1 k users enter this loop scenario and there are 6k AR messages per hour pouring (or more depending upon the time set for incoming/outgoing.pl to run) in with only way to stop is to request users to temporarily disable the AR.

Anup
Quote Reply
Gossamer Mail (as of 2.2.1) now keeps track of who it has sent auto-replies to and I have also improved on the checks on who not to send auto-replies to (mailer-daemon, etc). Auto-replies will now only be sent to an address at most once an hour (I can't quite remember if I made this an admin option or not).

Adrian
Quote Reply
This is precisely what i was looking after as indicated in earlier posts in this thread. I am sure that there could also be a way to change the 1 hour limit. If it's an admin option, it would be great. When is 2.2.1 due for release?

In fact i tried on freemail.gossammer-threads account Gm->Yahoo and surprisingly there was no AR recd in that account from Yahoo.

Anup

Last edited by:

anup123: Jan 6, 2004, 2:26 AM