Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

Mail from and to same domain disappears

Quote Reply
Mail from and to same domain disappears
Hi, when I send an email to one of my GMail users from Outlook Express with a "From" address at say john@abc.com and a "To" address at say gmailuser@abc.com it goes into the catch all account and gets deleted by incoming.pl but they never get it. I have all undeliverables set to insert and bounce yet I never get it in the undeliverables admin section or returned to Outlook Express. I just vanishes?! Everything works fine if I use a "from" address not at the same domain. I am using GMail 2.1.0 with Sendmail, any ideas?
Quote Reply
Re: [JKelly] Mail from and to same domain disappears In reply to
Can you send one of those emails, and then run incoming.pl with the '-v' argument and email me the results?

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Mail from and to same domain disappears In reply to
Thanks for that tip Adrian. After checking out the output of incoming.pl, I was led to the cause of the problem. Turns out the user that complained that I never emailed him back had my address in their spam filter for God knows why as all I have ever sent him were responses to his questions about GMail. Thanks again!
Quote Reply
Re: [JKelly] Mail from and to same domain disappears In reply to
Just a question on them blocking you - they weren't able to block the admin's email address were they? Or was it a personal one?

Would be concerened if it blocked the admins...

r.
Quote Reply
Re: [ryel01] Mail from and to same domain disappears In reply to
No it was not. I tested sending from the admin address though and it still quietly dropped it. It is doubtful anyone would add the admin email to their spam filter though. The problem is that since it just quietly drops the email and does not add it to the undeliverables section in the admin or bounce it back to the sender as having been blocked by a spam filter, the sender never knows that it did not go through and the receiver never knows it was sent - ok for real spam - but a problem if it really is not spam due to an improperly configured spam filter.

In my case, I think what happened is the user clicked the add to spam filter icon when they meant to click the add to address book icon (they are right next to each other) after getting my initial support email and thus never got any more of my subsequent emails.

What might be a cool feature for Gossamer guys to consider adding is an option for users to be able to choose what to do with email recieved that matches something in their spam filter. For example, send it to a "Bulk/Spam" folder for review or send it to their trash folder or automatically delete it as it does now.

Last edited by:

JKelly: Aug 28, 2002, 8:16 PM