Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

Limiting username length

Quote Reply
Limiting username length
I seem to not have seen a feature in GM for setting username limits?

Normally, admins should be able to set a minimum and max limit. Currently, I seem to see users registering with only two letters as a username. I even saw a me@domain.com. I would rather have a way of limiting usernames to 5 characters minimum and perhaps 15 maximum.

is this possible? If so, what to do?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: [Mama] Limiting username length In reply to
Hi,

No, it's not possible to set the min/max length of usernames. We'll look at adding this into a future release.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Limiting username length In reply to
Yes, please make sure you do so as soon as possible. Some users can easily want to be a pain by opening acoounts with lentghy names.

You could make the Username field configurable the same way other demographics fields are, I suppose?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
do a search in this forum on my nickname - i think i asked that question long ago and got an answer about how to do it. there wasn't much code involved, not even a line I think.

cheers,

r.
Quote Reply
Re: [ryel01] Limiting username length In reply to
In Reply To:
do a search in this forum on my nickname - i think i asked that question long ago and got an answer about how to do it. there wasn't much code involved, not even a line I think.

cheers,

r.

Well, your name brings up a huge amount of threads. It's impossible to find the exact message unless I want to spend hours browsing.

Can you guide me more accurately?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
here's one I just found that might give you a start...

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=152631;search_string=format;#152631

you just add another condition to check for length.

cheers,
r.
Quote Reply
Thanks.

By the way, what is the original regex that went with user id in the demographics? I seem to have deleted that and that may be some trouble for me.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
I don't think the user id uses a regex to do any testing because it's set by the script automatically when they sign up, not by the user.

cheers,
r.
Quote Reply
Yeah, I am probably forgetting which one of the original values in the demographics had a regex on it.

If anyone still has the original demographics configuration, I would appreciate letting me know the regex value. I remember only one of the demographics areas had a regex.

THanks.
Quote Reply
the only regex I've got in mine is...

Code:
^(?:.+\@.+\..+)?$

in the email field. Don't think I've altered or removed anything else.

cheers,
r
Quote Reply
That is probably it.

THank you for your help, Ryel01.