Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

Is MIME attachment support incomplete?

Quote Reply
Is MIME attachment support incomplete?
Forgive me posting here, I didn't want to make a big fuss in the Pre-Sales forum. GT's products are absolutely fabulous, and I'm sure that if a mistake has been made, it's me who is making it, no need to spook the potential customers. Wink

That said..

I don't have a copy of GMail myself, so I tested out the demo site with the mbox format files at:

http://ftp:/...ngton.edu/imap/mime/

To duplicate what i did, pull the first message out of the file, and send the rest to <username@gossamermail.com>.

I'm not sure about the rfc compliancy of the messages in these files, but GMail does not seem to list the attached files properly, and they are making a big deal out of being able to do it in IMP over at the horde project (www.horde.org).

Just wondering.. I'd also like to say Great Job to the people at Gossamer Threads for what appears to be another very fine product, and if there is a bug of some kind in the MIME code, I'm sure they will have it working correctly very soon.

-Steven

Quote Reply
Re: Is MIME attachment support incomplete? In reply to
Hi,

Thanks for that nice set of messages! I'll give it a thorough testing. One decision we made was that Gossamer Mail wouldn't support nested MIME messages, but would rather flatten everything when displaying. So while GT::Mail will parse nested parts, Gossamer Mail will flatten things when viewing. When forwarding, the original message is preserved with nested parts.

Which message where you testing? I tried all three. I did notice a bug in that the naming of parts was not done properly (i.e. only text/plain and text/html types got named like that, the rest were enumerated), but I got the same number of parts as I would with my mail client.

Thanks again!

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
The torture-test file is the one I was referring to, sorry for not making that clear in the original post.

hmm... I must have done something wrong when I sent it, because it didn't decode ANY of the mime for me, just dumped the raw message body out to my browser. I think I must have added a new header at the top instead of rewriting the existing header to deliver the mail to GMail (I'm guessing because now I see that Outlook didn't see the attachments either)

My bad. I'll retest and report back.

Update:

Yup, it was my mistake. I had rewritten the header with no references to ANY MIME parts on my first test and the mailer did the right thing to the message, and that was just spit it out raw.

I re-sent it w/o modifying the headers at all, and it works as expected, minus the naming problems that Alex mentioned.

Sorry Alex, I was just trying to help.. Blush ..Honest!
-Steven
Quote Reply
Not a problem! We did actually find a bug. You'll notice it decodes the parts, but does not label them properly as audio/wav, but rather just says 3 or some number.

The icon is right, but not the label. We'll get this fixed up asap.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.