Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

Insert DISC?!?!

Quote Reply
Insert DISC?!?!
Strange bug here ...

Going to Compose > HTML mode results in a pop up box asking for Office 2k cd or windows 2k CD ...

What is going on here please??

Nic
Quote Reply
Re: [NicNic] Insert DISC?!?! In reply to
I think this is a bug with Office. Jagerman talks about it in this thread: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...i?post=138109#138109

I think there might be a fix for it in one of the service packs for Office 2K or it was fixed in Office XP. I can't remember which it is off the top of my head.

Regards,
Charlie
Quote Reply
Re: [Chaz] Insert DISC?!?! In reply to
Hmmmm I am not happy with this AT ALL. It seems the HTML uses an Office plugin, which is therefore unacessable by people on netscape and below IE 5.5. Also, what about Mac users without Office?!?!

This seems like it has been rushed, not thought about and the easy way out ...

Why doesn't Gossamer Threads do the same as Vbulletin has done, that has all the features of a WSYWIG editor and is also accessible ... GM is $450, Vbulletin is $200 ... enoguh said, but I hope someone fixes it.

The html options on this forum are more than enough and a call to MS Office is in my opinion completely unneccessary, and looks unprofessional unless the patch is applied ...
Quote Reply
Quote:
GM is $450, Vbulletin is $200 ... enoguh said, but I hope someone fixes it.

GM is USD650....umm ust be long back if you were offered at 450....

Anyway, this needs to be fixed and I am sure that GT places some deadline for this to remove all anxieties.
Anup

=_= =_= =_= =_= =_= =_=

You can chain me, you can torture me, you can even destroy this body, but you will never imprison my mind.
-Mahatma Gandhi
Quote Reply
Re: [anup123] Insert DISC?!?! In reply to
Ok 650 then ... that is even worse
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Hmmmm I am not happy with this AT ALL. It seems the HTML uses an Office plugin, which is therefore unacessable by people on netscape and below IE 5.5. Also, what about Mac users without Office?!?!
As Chaz mentioned, it's a bug with Microsoft's software that that dialog box about Microsoft Office comes up. The WYSIWYG editor does NOT use or require Microsoft Office. Being able to use the WYSIWYG editor, unfortunately, is dependent on the browser you're using because of some browsers not supporting the features used. When other browsers support that particular feature, we'll make sure that it works in those browsers, but for now, those users will have to use the regular text editor.

In Reply To:
Why doesn't Gossamer Threads do the same as Vbulletin has done, that has all the features of a WSYWIG editor and is also accessible
I just visited vbulletin's forum and tried to post in Mozilla and I got a regular text area to type in, so I'm not quite sure what you mean there. I don't have access to a Windows machine right now, but IIRC, the editor they have is also Internet Explorer 5.5 (windows) dependent.

In Reply To:
GM is $450, Vbulletin is $200
Sorry, but I don't think it's fair to compare two totally different products like that by price!

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Insert DISC?!?! In reply to
To expand on what Adrian said, it only appears if you are using Windows 2000 with Office 2000 in default install (a full install won't display the error). Here's a reference to the bug from Microsoft:

http://support.microsoft.com/...cid=KB;EN-US;Q304107

The editor used in Gossamer Mail is more powerful then the one on the forum (Gossamer Forum or vbulletin), as it allows uploading and manipulating of inline images, as well as table and positioning support and adjustable toolbars.

We are aware of the Office issue, and are looking at replacing it with the html editor used here (which uses a different control), but it will take a lot of work to integrate those extra features into this editor.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Hi,

Just checked other posts and found that you have purchased GM very recently. I am sure 450 USD couldn't have been a typo so does it mean that GM was offered at 450 USD to you about a month back?

ANup
Quote Reply
Re: [anup123] Insert DISC?!?! In reply to
I can't remember how much I paid for the thing, as my Client paid for it. I think I was getting confused with £450 which is roughly what $650 equates to, please do not get paranoid.

I am very happy with this product from what I have seen - although I do think thetemplates are rather complex for novice users. Plus, I have noticed a few bugs which need ironing out ...