Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

Individual POP3 accounts

Quote Reply
Individual POP3 accounts
There is 1 feature i would really like for gossamer mail:

Basically, i have a large exising member base i want to offer free email to. However i also plan of having a subscriber system where people pay some nominal fee.

One of the features i want is a POP3 account. I will set these accounts up manually.

But i would really like it if the people could still collect their email using the same interface, so they wouldn't actually notice the difference.

Is this sort of thing going to be possible?

1 way i can see of doing it is:

1. Add another field in userbase for "pop3 account override"
if this is set (manually by the admin) then when that individual user logs into the email program, the scripts runs over the the pop account and downloads all the emails into the system.
2. The user then sends emails etc exactly the same way as before, deletes them from webmail exactly the same way.

This would be easiest way. There is a problem in that the real POP3 account will not be kept inline with the webmail. The user could set it up to "delete emails upon download to webmail" or "keep emails upon download to webmail" but could not selectivly delete the emails in webmail and have the corresponding action occur in the pop3 account.

Still, this system would i believe be possible would it not? perhaps even a plugin could be made to do it.

The alternative option it to build an extra "layer" which makes the webmail system acts as a pop3 reader type system. This would be better in the pop3 accounts would always be "in line" with the current webmail emails.

Thanks.

http://www.ASciFi.com/ - The Science Fiction Portal
Quote Reply
Re: Individual POP3 accounts In reply to
Hi,

Scott has created an integrated pop server for Gossamer Mail 2. This will allow users to check/fetch/delete email off of their Gossamer Mail 2 account from a regular email client like Eudora or Outlook.

This does require a dedicated server or a flexible host as the pop server needs to run as a daemon.

We haven't yet determined a price for this.

As alternatives it wouldn't be very hard to implement what you are describing. Right now you can do this if you run Gossamer Mail in "individual mode" where each user has it's own pop account. It's just a matter of allowing Gossamer Mail to run in both modes at the same time.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
i have a dedicated server so the first option would not be a problem. I like the idea of it a lot but will wait to know if it is going to be expensive. I hope it will be possible to limit the permission on a user by user basis.

Quote Reply
ar... what would be used for sending email? would they have to use their ISP or something else?

Quote Reply
Hi,

For sending email they would either login to Gossamer Mail or use their ISP's SMTP server.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.