Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

I am not clear On this -- Bandwidth And mass Mail

Quote Reply
I am not clear On this -- Bandwidth And mass Mail
Hi,

Bandwidth Consumed for mass mail in following two scenarios:

(1). Mass mail from admin to all GM users. Say a 2K message to 10K users. All the domains are on the same server as GM

(2). Mass mail from some other interface (also on the same server as GM) Say a 2K message to 10K users. (All domains on the same server As GM)

Enlightenment solicited. Thnx in advance....

Anup
Quote Reply
Re: [anup123] I am not clear On this -- Bandwidth And mass Mail In reply to
In Reply To:
(1). Mass mail from admin to all GM users. Say a 2K message to 10K users. All the domains are on the same server as GM

My guess here would be none. I haven't looked much at this code but I would think that GMail dispatches the message to the proper user without involving the mail server, I could be wrong. You will encounter bandwidth usage when a user reads the message obviously.

In Reply To:
(2). Mass mail from some other interface (also on the same server as GM) Say a 2K message to 10K users. (All domains on the same server As GM)

Can you give an example of 'other interface'? If you're talking about sending messages to users from Pine or some other local mail client, you will encounter bandwidth usage as incoming.pl will still be connecting to the mail server, although local, and download the mail. That is assuming that you are running in Shared POP3 mode. It also has a lot to do with the way your service provider calculates bandwidth usage.

Hope that helps

~Charlie
Quote Reply
Re: [Chaz] I am not clear On this -- Bandwidth And mass Mail In reply to
Hi Charlie,

Thnx For the same.
Quote:
Can you give an example of 'other interface'?

Well let's presume it's thru Admin Interface of Network Marketing Software of Oxmatrix.com for instance. The same uses the /usr/sbin/sendmail for mail delivery to all it's members thru the admin interface. And presume that both OxMX (of Oxmatrix.com) and GM are on the same server.

Bandwidth as calculated in (total in + total out) and I am on a dedicated server.

Thnx for the enlightenment....
Yes even I am waiting on the "Purge" issue for a feedback from GT.

Anup
Quote Reply
I'm not really sure how this situation would effect your bandwidth. I do not no enough about sendmail to know if it's smart enough to know if the e-mail addresses are local or not. Any sendmail experts know the answer to this one?
Quote Reply
If you use the mass mail feature, no extra bandwidth is used, it goes straight into Gossamer Mail. If you use some program running on the same server, then no extra bandwidth is used, as the mail should never leave the server (unless you have some strange mail server setup). If you use a third party tool from a different server, then you will get 2k * 10k bytes used in delivering the mail.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.