Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

Gossamer Mail and virtual servers.

Quote Reply
Gossamer Mail and virtual servers.
Alex,

As you know, I'm currently on Communitech (no boos please) and they do me just fine (for now). They currently allow (I think) 100 auto-forwarders and something like 25 actual accounts.

Would Gossamer-Mail bypass that somehow allowing me to serve mail to the masses or would I still be constricted to the 25 accounts/100 forwarders?

Wayne Hunt
Religious user of DBMan/SQL and Links/SQL.
Amiga.org

Quote Reply
Re: Gossamer Mail and virtual servers. In reply to
From what I've seen the mail program, it works in two ways.

1) you can set up individual POP (user) accounts. This would be for a company that wanted to allow employees to be able to access their mail from the web. It would _NOT_ be the best solution for a email-community, unless you were thinking of (or are) offering POP mail and user accounts to people who sign up.

2) it functions as a 'catch all' account. Let's say you have 35 of the email addresses you are allowed assigned. _AND_ you have the ability to send everything else not for one of those accounts to a cacth_all_account@mydomain.com What you do is set up this Email system to take all the mail that ends up in the catch_all_account and distribute it to "virutal" web-only user accounts. A cron job set at 2 (or any other) minute intervals does the actuall distribution.

The only question I have is what if you are using the catch-all account to get all the misdirected mail? I would like to see the ability to forward this back to a qmail POP address, so I could still pick up all mail that was then _NOT_ addressed to one of the virtual accounts <G>

Does this make sense.

Basically, all the mail that _ISN'T_ for a regular "user" goes to the web-mail program. It then distributes the mail to the web/virtual users. (I would then like to see all the mail that is not able to be distributed, forwarded _back_ to the real catch-all account <G>... a Texas Two Step).

Quote Reply
Re: Gossamer Mail and virtual servers. In reply to
In Reply To:
The only question I have is what if you are using the catch-all account to get all the misdirected mail? I would like to see the ability to forward this back to a qmail POP address, so I could still pick up all mail that was then _NOT_ addressed to one of the virtual accounts <G>
This doesn't happen yet, but you can view all undeliverable mail in the program. To prevent mail loops it doesn't bounce messages back, this is something we are looking into though.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.