Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

Gmail 2.1.0 - User configure mailbox after the first login!

Quote Reply
Gmail 2.1.0 - User configure mailbox after the first login!
Hello Adrian!

After looking at some wonderful options that have been recently known to me, I came to the idea that it would be better if there is a check made after the first login or some how identifying a system how to get it done.

In my earlier post I have mentioned that Gmail declares unValidated users last logged in based on its join_time. Thats a wrong logic. My suggestion is as follows:

When a user is created, only the creation time is inserted in the user_join field AND 0000-00-00 in the user_last_login field. So, hence it is obvious through this system that the user did not yet login and gmail could therefore detect that the user did not yet login.

A clear advantage of this strategically is that it would then offer a possibility to go a step further and after a user logsin the first time, Gmail could actually enter the date out there AND present a configuration options page for that mail box. On this page a user could set options, like change passwords, remote emails, delete trash, etc, etc.

Make sense? I think it would be great.

Last edited by:

rajani: Aug 13, 2002, 2:23 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [rajani] Gmail 2.1.0 - User configure mailbox after the first login! In reply to
Hello!

Just missed to mention an idea that came to my mind.

So generally speaking, this leads to an idea of triggering an action after login. For e.g. Admin would like to place a message only after login based on certail behaviour. For e.g. lets say:

Inbox has 100 emails. This would then trigger a message informing a user that the inbox needs to be sorted out and that either the messages needs to be moved into anathor folder, by also eventually creating one, or deleted.

Also, displaying a date based on user or client side (and not adminside) setting would be important.
Quote Reply
Re: [rajani] Gmail 2.1.0 - User configure mailbox after the first login! In reply to
Hi,

Quote:
When a user is created, only the creation time is inserted in the user_join field AND 0000-00-00 in the user_last_login field

I would go a step futher to add the following:

user_validate_date and this should be the date when the admin actually validated the account. This in fact would be the starting point for GM to be used for PAID Model with a field somewhere in the database
account_validated_duration
defined by admin in setup defaualts to be 365 days from user_validate_date
and then 30 days before the due date, reminder mails are sent for renewal.

Right now this feature is not there severely handicapping the admin functions wrt PAID model...

Thnx
Anup
Quote Reply
Re: [anup123] Gmail 2.1.0 - User configure mailbox after the first login! In reply to
Hello!

What you suggested could be possible by lets say creating fields paid_service service_date regardless of Gmail behaviour.

Set a date function to its property in service_date and paid_service to ENUM Yes, No. So when a user wants to signin, a script could enter a date out there and do all the necessary functions as described. In the templates you can use

<%If paid_service eq 'Yes'%>

Show a template for paid users!

<endif>

<elsif>

register new......

However, a general approach in the script for such functions that support such a thing needs to be better.