Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

GM too slow....., to parse...?

Quote Reply
GM too slow....., to parse...?
After considerably studying other email systems like outblaze and commtouch which r heavy weight types, I find GM parses the pages very slow compared to the above mail systems...!

Is there any way in this world I can make my GM installation respond faster, like it should just blaze down the screen after requesting any .cgi

Also, I read in mySQL documentation, that it allows max 300 connections at a given instance.. Every user logged onto the system will have one or more connections to mySQL while using any feature of GM..(though only for that instance which is hardly a second, but even then....)

I was a little confused as to how this will be handled when Alex says that it has been tested with 70,000 users...

P.S.
Don't worry about my bandwidth & network. I have done all these tests on local systems including GM...I did heard about some fastcgi stuff... ANy ideas..?

Quote Reply
Re: GM too slow....., to parse...? In reply to
In Reply To:
Is there any way in this world I can make my GM installation respond faster, like it should just blaze down the screen after requesting any .cgi
Faster modem, faster dedicated line, faster CPU, more RAM, faster ISP.

Paul
Installations:http://wiredon.net/gt/
Support: http://wiredon.net/forum/

Quote Reply
As I said earlier, these are not the problem.. I mean the very scripts / programs..

As the saying goes... Owner pride, neighbours envy...

I have tested it on:
Faster modem: No need (see below)
faster dedicated line: 2 MBPS leased line
faster CPU: Pentium III 800
more RAM: 512 MB
faster ISP: The biggest in ASia

And the above config is doing nothing except testing GM :)

Any clues yet...

Quote Reply
Hi,

Your best bet to improve performance is to use a persistant environment like mod_perl or speedycgi. This will dramatically improve response times as when a user makes a connection, perl is already loaded, the script is already compiled, and the database connection is already connected.

If you are serious about that sort of loads, you should be running under a proxied environment, with your application server separate from your web server. You may also consider separating your database server to a separate machine.

If you are interested in getting this setup optimally to handle very large loads, contact info@gossamer-threads.com for more information on our system consulting services.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.