Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

Free accounts that can upgrade to paid accounts

Quote Reply
Free accounts that can upgrade to paid accounts
Am I correct in that Gmail does not support this (free and paid accounts)?

If this is true, any chance that this can change? It's a lot easier to sell accounts when you first convert a free one.

cdkrg

Able2Know :: Ajooja Directory
Quote Reply
Re: [cdkrg] Free accounts that can upgrade to paid accounts In reply to
No it does support this.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Free accounts that can upgrade to paid accounts In reply to
Any chance that this can be supported in the future? I'm trying to gauge interest on Gossamer's part to know whether I should procure my own solution or wait for an official one.

cdkrg

Quote Reply
I think you misread my message - It does support free accounts that can be upgraded to paid accounts.

Adrian
Quote Reply
How is that done?

cdkrg

Quote Reply
Setup the free account. When their trial period expires, they can upgrade their account. If it's a lifetime free account, then they should be able to upgrade at any time from the Options page (2.2.4 is needed for this to work).

Adrian
Quote Reply
Ok, so am I correct in assuming that I'd have to manually create all the new free accounts?

What I had in mind was the following (not sure if this is possible with the current codeset):

1) Users can sign up for either a free (lifetime or expiring depending on configuration) account.

2) Users have the option to upgrade for a larger featureset/level.

Is that possible?

cdkrg

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Ok, so am I correct in assuming that I'd have to manually create all the new free accounts?
No, you create a payment level with a payment term that costs $0, and whatever term length you want. That's what would be a 'free' or 'trial' account.

In Reply To:
What I had in mind was the following (not sure if this is possible with the current codeset):

1) Users can sign up for either a free (lifetime or expiring depending on configuration) account.

2) Users have the option to upgrade for a larger featureset/level.
It can do that as is.

Adrian
Quote Reply
I see. I had tried to make a free term but had gotten an error saying it was an invalid payment term. I added length and used 0 (instead of 0.00, dunno if that makes a difference) and it works as you said.

Incidentally, there is an typo in the default template (register message/brewt):

<%url_user%>/register.cgi?key=3D<%key%> should be <%url_user%>/register.cgi?key=<%key%>

cdkrg

Last edited by:

cdkrg: Nov 2, 2004, 6:26 AM