Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

Feature request - expand spam capabilities

Quote Reply
Feature request - expand spam capabilities
Does GM download mail and process through incoming.pl *before* it goes through the spam rules? Or if you wanted to delete mail, does it do it straight off the POP server so you don't have to waste resources downloading it first? I ask this because I recently started downloading 1000 odd "I need your advice" viruses, some with attachments up to 4Mb in size.

Since most spam is BCCed it would be useful to delete straight off the server, even if that meant you couldn't send a bounce. You could scan Subject lines, or create rules depending on how large the attachment was etc.

Regards

Jason

Quote Reply
Re: Feature request - expand spam capabilities In reply to
In Reply To:
Since most spam is BCCed it would be useful to delete straight off the server, even if that meant you couldn't send a bounce. You could scan Subject lines, or create rules depending on how large the attachment was etc.

If I understand correctly, aren't you essentially suggesting that BCC e-mail should be prohibited?

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
I think what he's saying is that before GM downloads mail from a pop account, it would be good if it could first scan the Subject,CC,BCC etc fields to see if "X" exists, and if "X" does exist it then deletes the email before it goes through the process of downloading the mail into the GM setup.

I guess, instead of just being able to block spam mail from "*.thisdomain.com" you can actually block incoming email using more parameters - like Subject, CC, BCC... or even possibly words in the body of the message. Not a bad idea to block messages coming from worms (are they worms?) that spam peoples address books - usually including the same message in all of them.

More or less the "Filters" function in the user area, but on a system wide scale for the admin to use.

Cheers,
Regan.

Quote Reply
Hi,

GM does not download mail unless it's going to be inserted or bounced. It will first grab the header and see if it's a valid message. If not, it will bounce it. However, currently it attaches the message during a bounce, so it ends up downloading it anyways.

We will add an option in the next release saying whether it should attach the original email during bounces.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.