Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

Feature Extension Request

Quote Reply
Feature Extension Request
hi,

would it be possible to extend the current global user settings so that they can be overridden on a per user basis.

The particular aspect I'm thinking of is folder allocation - the number of folders a user can have to sort their mail.

If we could set a global that was the 'default', but then also have the ability to go into an individual user and give them more or less folders to work with it would be very handy.

what do you think?

regan.
Quote Reply
Re: [ryel01] Feature Extension Request In reply to
Hi,

We actually started down that route, but switched back and moved the user limits to be global instead of per user. I'll take a look at what's involved in this, but am not sure if it's something we'll switch back in a future version. The reason was it was extra overhead to store all the user defaults (about 15 or 20 of them) as per user, when in reality very few people will want to customzie them per user. A case could be made for some of them though.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Feature Extension Request In reply to
Alex,
I'm actually looking at something similar right now... What about this. You have a file with the config data called ConfigData.pm We have already added a field to the user database for account type. Rather than tracking this on a per user basis, how about on an account type or based on some other field in the db. With this if you get the user data before loading the config file, couldn't you just specify different config files based upon the user account type, or some other criteria...
Jerry
Quote Reply
Re: [JerryP] Feature Extension Request In reply to
just a quick followup and Alex maybe you could let me know if you see any problems with doing this... in User.pm we pass the account type in sub load_user to a new sub and this new sub basically just looks to see if ConfigData_newtype.pm exists and if it does, it just loads the limits hash for that user, which is the only thing in the new configdata file, if not it bails and leaves everything as is.

seems to work fine so far, anybody see anything that might go wrong here.
Quote Reply
Re: [JerryP] Feature Extension Request In reply to
Hi,

Now that sounds like a good idea. We'll look at adding this into future versions. Basically the user limits will allow you to pick limits per account type, and allow you to add/remove account types. You can then put a user into a specific account.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Feature Extension Request In reply to
That would be great... If I can make a suggestion if you decide to add this in. If no one else has any objections, I'd like to suggest the field be named users_account_type and set at varchar(16) in the webmail_users table. It just means I won't have to modify my table later :) thx